Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

LinksSQL for content management

Quote Reply
LinksSQL for content management
I was wondering about the customization issues for using Links SQL for the management of a website of articles (multipage). Has anyone used it for such a purpose?
It will probably be necessary to add extra fields in the categories, as each article (multipage) should be a sub-category containing the article's pages. Is that possible?
Also a required feature should be an authors database (with their profiles) linked to the article.
I would be interested to hear if someone has already done such an implementation.

Quote Reply
Re: LinksSQL for content management In reply to
I'm not exactly sure how you are visualizing the implementation, but Links has been adapted to many, many different things.

I could see it as a "book" where each "category" was a chapter, and each link a page or scene.

I don't see it using the categories as "pages" and the "links" as paragraphs. It's not really designed for that.

There are several sites that use links for magazines, content-publishing, and such. You might want to look around the RESOURCE CENTER for the "Sites in Action" and see what you find.

You might be surprised, and you might find some good ideas there.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
LCNL used LINKS SQL to design a site listing external web links in the normal way and allowing users to enter information into the 'detail page' . www.lcnl.org.uk

Quote Reply
Thank you for your suggestions.
Maybe I haven't been very precise for the implementation I was thinking about. An example very near to what was my initial thought is the way the articles are displayed in the WebMonkey site. If each article could be in one page things would be far easier.

Quote Reply
You may want to take a look at what I've done with Links at www.planetpapers.com . All the essays are 'detailed' pages and are arranged into categories, not much in the way of modification, but it may give you an idea of what can be done. As for multiple pages, I think it would be easy enough, just add another detailed field (say detailed2) with the information for the second page, and so on. Then the information from those fields could be built just like detailed.

Ethan

Quote Reply
Hi Ethan,

How did you get your detailed pages to format following submission? my pages either are not formatted at all- or if I use the <pre> tag, each paragraph runs in a single line across the page.

Quote Reply
Say hello to nested tables.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Are you talking about the 'detailed' information on the submission confirmation page? Because I simply don't ouput it there, I don't see the need.

And I don't do any special formatting on the detailed pages. The only change i made was a change to nph-build.cgi (i think) that replaces the newline with a < br > (Alex posted it for Links 2 way back).

Ethan

Quote Reply
Thanks, that would be an effective solution.

Has anyone got a reference for the modified code? It did not come up in any of my forum searches and did not appear to be in the resources centre?

thanks
Rennie

Quote Reply
Here it is... it's actually in HTML_Templates.pm under sub site_html_detailed.

It's just:

Code:
my %rec = @_;
$rec->{'Detail'} =~ s/\n/< br >/g;
(without the spaces around the br)

after the line:

Code:
(ref $tags eq 'HASH') or croak "HTML_TEMPLATES: Argument '$tags' must be hash reference";
Like I said, this one was for links 2, but it works fine for me in Links SQL.

Quote Reply
Thanks,

I'll try it now and see.