Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Issue with import.pl & VERY large Description fields

Quote Reply
Issue with import.pl & VERY large Description fields
I'm trying to import some very large text Description fields. I've searched the archives but wasn't able to find any suitable solution.

The Description field on the import file can contain 1-2 pages of text. (This causes a wordwrap to the next line in the import text file) It seems that import.pl is set to a maximum width as when I truncate the excessive part of the Description field I am then able to import.

Validate.def and Links.def are set to allow this large amount of text. It just seems to be the import.pl which cannot accept a Description filed beyond a certain width.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Ralph
Quote Reply
Re: Issue with import.pl & VERY large Description fields In reply to
Do you mean your text file wraps with the long description? Then this is a problem with the text file. 1-2 pages of text should be fine on one line. I would check how you are generating the text file, and try an alternate way so you get the whole record on one individual line.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
>Do you mean your text file wraps with the >long description? Then this is a problem >with the text file.

Correct. I did a word count of one of the Description fields: 2993 characters including spaces. 3028 including all other fields.

>I would check how you are generating the >text file, and try an alternate way ....

I'm exporting from Access to a pipe delimited file. The field is defined as Memo. Are there any other ways to export?

Also that may not help the situation as I manually truncated the description field so that the entire record only appears on one line. The import stills fails unless I shorten the line by an additional 15 characters or so. The (Approx) maximium length seems to be about about 1000 characters w/ spaces. (This count includes all column fields.)

Suggestions??

Thanks,
Ralph
Quote Reply
I just tried this:

1. Created a table with two columns, one of type memo, one of type int.
2. Entered as much info as possible into the memo field until I got a message from access saying the field could not be edited.
3. Highlighted all fields, and copied it.
4. Opened up editplus and pasted.

All lines were displayed correctly, tab delimited. One field was 55,000 chars.

Try giving this a try?

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex. Turns out that Notepad was causing the word wrap. I switched to WordPad which did not wrap the lines.

Thanks for your help!