Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Interested in Links SQL

Quote Reply
Interested in Links SQL
Hi,

I am very interested in the Links SQL, as my database with Links 2.0 has grown too large.

The price of $ 450 is really ok, so I have some questions before ordering:

1) Installation
===============
I am not familiar with SQL, my perl knowledges are much besser. Alex, do you need a telnet account for installation? This is a bit complicated, because you can only reach our server with a special IP address. We have a very protected system and I would prefer to give you a FTP account instead of telnet. Is it possible to install Links SQL myself?

2) Mods
=======
Can I use all the mods from Links 2.0? Moreover, I have written some own mods as cookie-implementation etc. Are there problems, if I have defined more fields as the standard one given?

3) Categories
=============
I have only 12 categories, but there are up to 1500 links in one category. Building the pages with Links 2.0 takes me up to 1 hour - and I have a very good and fast machine! How long will this last with Links SQL?

There is a lot of new stuff to read and I am afraid of having to spend a lot of time to have Links SQL running :-)

Bye,
Danny

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Interested in Links SQL In reply to
I have a question about Links SQL also. When you edit Links SQL the format (design) can be edited by using templates right? Also, I have my site registered on Communitech.Net which provides MySQL and PHP3 access and up to five databases, they also offer 350 megabytes of memory. Is this enough for Links SQL version?
Quote Reply
Hi Danny,

1. We can install with just ftp access, telnet is not required unless we need to debug something that has gone wrong. We recommend letting us install it the first time as it makes sure your system is configured properly (sufficent perl, database, extra modules, etc). If you want to give it a try first though, we can send you the zip file. =)

2. Links SQL is a complete rewrite, so most of the mods won't be able to just be inserted in. The next version (beta due out this friday) will include a lot of the better mods rewritten for SQL, as well as some completely new features.

3. Links SQL will be much faster at building then Links 2.0. Our directory of 32,000 links builds in just a couple of minutes.

Gregorio: Correct, it's all template based, and yes, just make sure they have the DBI and DBD::mysql modules installed as well.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
cool.. i've been playing around with sql and it's not that hard to understand at all..

the mods could easily be done.. just some of them can't be done without rewriting alot.. (ie: multiple categories.. how the heck you do that with SQL.. and still make it run fast? Smile [+ accurate results]

does MYSQL even care about diskspace? i've been using it for a few days now and it's not even included on my quota.. it runs very face though.. that's what i like Wink

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry --

Your MySQL disk space is probably a separate limit on your account... I'm sure your ISP will inform you when you hit it. Smile

It generates a _LOT_ of disk use for the indexes. I think I posted a summary, or maybe I didn't -- I don't remember -- in one of the Links forums.

For mutliple categories, you have to think tables and joins. Smile Try to normalize your database, and you'll see several different solutions, depending on how you view the problem.

I think we even discussed the pro and con of several methods here a week or so ago.

As for the templates -- they work pretty close between SQL and 2.0, but the Date tags especially have been changed, and you can't use ' ' in field names, you have to use an '_'

Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

thanks for your answer!

My ISP does not know what you mean with the following requirement:

"Perl database modules: DBI and the appropriate DBD module loaded."

Will Links SQL also work with mod_perl?

FTP account is okay, no problem. How long do I have to wait if I order it on Monday?

You say that a lot of mods of Links 2.0 does not work with Links SQL. Can you explain this? When will the next (beta) version come out and which mods will be implemented?

Bye,
Danny

------------------
Quote Reply
mistype:

Will Links SQL also work without mod_perl?

Quote Reply
Hi Danny,

Links SQL needs two perl modules DBI and DBD::mysql. Your ISP should be able to check if they are already installed on the system, and yes Links SQL will work fine without mod_perl.

If you order monday, it will take two to three business days to process the order and get it installed.

As for mods, most of them won't work with Links SQL as it is a complete rewrite codewise. The next beta of Links SQL due out late tommorrow has a lot of the mods built in. These will include:

- Keyword Search Logging.
- Altavista Style Span pages.
- 3 Level New and Updated pages.
- Random Number support for pages.
- Enhanced Template (already included)
- Multiple Category (already included)

as well as a lot of brand new features:

- Dynamic Page view (allows you to specify different template sets on the fly)
- Superb Link Checker (keeps track of when links where verified, and a full history allowing you to check only unchecked links, erase bad links, etc).
- Basic Section Editor support so other users can maintain sections of your directories.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Widgetz,
What site or book are you using to learn MySQL? I would really like to learn about MySQL ahead of time.
Quote Reply
i didn't read a book.. it's not like it's a whole nother language.. just a bunch of functions.. i just used the documentation that came with Sybase SQL Anywhere (which is on my localhost) and got the Perl API's for DBI/DBD.. which is pretty much enough..

something you would want to learn is to use REGEXP from searching though.. makes it a whole lot better..

jerry
Quote Reply
I hope one mod that is included is an improved link checker. With the current system and 10000s of links, it is slow and ties up the machine. And since you have to be done logged in, if the dial-up takes a hit 99% done, you have to start over. Get 99% done again and your ISP kicks you off, start over. I have had to do the checks 6 times to get all the way through, thanks mainly to GTE and my ISP.

How about something that runs Exclusively on the server and provides a report that can be loaded?

I like to check the links monthly (assures my customers I have a good database and worth using), but it it impossible to do it efficiently with the current system.

Regards;

John
Quote Reply
Hi John,

Quote:
I hope one mod that is included is an improved link checker. With the current system and 10000s of links, it is slow and ties up the machine. And since you have to be done logged in, if the dial-up takes a hit 99% done, you have to start over. Get 99% done again and your ISP kicks you off, start over. I have had to do the checks 6 times to get all the way through, thanks mainly to GTE and my ISP.

Yes, this has been completely rewritten. I think you'll like the new features. Everytime a link is checked it is now recorded what the result is. You can now:

1. Check links that haven't been checked in last n days.
2. Check links that were last reported as bad.
3. Check links that have never been checked.
4. Check links that have been checked between x and y dates.
5. Check all links.

Also, you can get a nice summary of the checking results, and see a links history (i.e. it's been 404 for the last two weeks, but was previously ok).

Cheers,

Alex