Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Installed MySQL

Quote Reply
Installed MySQL
Hi there,

I have just ordered the SQL version of Links, I also have Links V2 however I here it will not handle enough links so SQL it is.

I have just installed Mysql version 3.22 on
my Linux 6.1 box and yep the mySQL processes are running:

However:

When I try stop the process by PID or Killall mysql - nothing happens - still running. ****** I've just worked this one out********** /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server stop

Also I need to change the default username and password for mysql 3.22 - I tried and nothing happened.

I support 6 Linux servers and a number of NT however have no experience of mysql, I will order the books to swat up.

Please can someone email or point me in the right direction:

Stop and start mysql
Change Username and password
Set database up for Links
also set the path for mysql (no mention when I type Set | more)

I am very excited about getting all this ready for when Alex or someone from Gossamer installs Links SQL for me.

Many thanks

Tony

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited December 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Installed MySQL In reply to
Hi Alex

Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem - these commands appear not to work.

Mysql is running - see below:

ps aux (snipit of services)

root 24440 0.0 1.4 1668 812 pts/0 S 19:52 0:00 sh /usr/bin/safe_
mysql 24457 0.0 2.0 10768 1132 pts/0 SN 19:52 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld
mysql 24459 0.0 2.0 10768 1132 pts/0 SN 19:52 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld
mysql 24460 0.0 2.0 10768 1132 pts/0 SN 19:52 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld

The only command I have found that works is
/usr/share/mysql/mysql.server stop

or

/usr/share/mysql/mysql.server start

then I get:

starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

So am I missing the point - why do the commands everyone else says and the docs says should work appear not to.

If I type the commands suggested I get no such file/directory or command - that's why I wondered whether I was typing these commands in the correct directory of if I needed to set the path to mysql.

If I type mysqladmin create links
(I get command not found) what directory should I run this from then?

mysql mysql
(command not found)

I know this is nothing to do with Gossamer (i.e mysql), anyone got any ideas?

I'm stuck.

Cheers

Tony

Quote Reply

***************Bingo**********

It would help if I installed the client as well
Quote Reply
I know the feeling, I installed it myself though rather then getting Sundaya or Alex do to it ( Sundaya was helpful though, and pointed out mistakes in the servers httpd.conf files ) - Its actually quite simple to do yourself.

As for the database, is this your own server your on... if it is you have admin access the person installing the script can probably do this for you Smile
Quote Reply
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes this is my own server so I have root and su access throgh SSH.

Now that mySQL is installed, is it likely that Alex or whoever installs the scripts will set the database up? (anyideas)

Cheers

Tony
Quote Reply
Hmmm.. You replied 4 mins after I did, you must be desperate to get this going Wink

I would say they know how to, I donno if they will do it though. If you can install DBI and all that yourself, and just get them to create the database I guess they will do it, but who am I to say? Wink
Quote Reply
To start mysql you should type:

./safe_mysqld &

to stop mysql you should type:

mysqladmin shutdown

To set a password for the root user, you should type:

mysqladmin password new-password

You should then create a database for links:

mysqladmin create links

and setup a user for links:

mysql mysql

will get you into the mysql monitor, and:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, ALTER, DROP ON links.* TO someuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'somepassword';

will setup a user 'someuser' with password 'somepassword' who can only access the links database.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'set path for mysql'?

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
The command to start on your system seems
to be:

/usr/share/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld &

The _BEST_ place for information is to download the docs file for MySQL, and go through the setup/test step by step.

I got everything compiled in 20 minutes, but it took me 8 to 12 hours to figure out all the set up and tests.

Once I did, it's been running flawlessly.

You need to make sure you put the files in the right places, if you changed the default locations your paths will be different.

You also need to go in as root to set everything up, and get it working. Once it's working, and you set up another user, you can then access the database -- but you should not be able to get to the data files.

If you didn't install the program as root, that might be the problem.

I don't know for sure, I only installed it once... but those are the steps I followed, and I was learning Unix (Solaris) as I installed this, so I only a 2-3 month Unix experience at that time, so I wasn't drawing on any past experiences.

There are special notes in the docs for each OS, you need to read them, it might have been something very simple. I'm used to that, because the Solaris libs are different from "generic" Unix in many aspects Smile

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited December 29, 1999).]