Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Indexing From Telnet... PROBELM?

Quote Reply
Indexing From Telnet... PROBELM?
When I run nph-index.cgi from telnet, I get th following at the prompt:

(offline mode: enter name=value pairs on standard input)

And then nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? My weights are set correctly and the indexing will work from the browser (but it times out because of the # of links).

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Indexing From Telnet... PROBELM? In reply to
Ask your hosting company to increase your CPU usage rate to above 60 seconds. You will need a lot of seconds to execute the file if you have tons of links in your Links table.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Eliot,

I don't understand... why won't the indexing even begin? It's because the CPU usage rate has been set too low?

Quote Reply
Most likely....

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
What's an ideal rate?

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
120 seconds or higher.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
How come I can verify all my links and build the database, from within telnet, without any problems, but I get this error when indexing? It doesn't make sense.

Quote Reply
Because it takes longer to execute the nph-index.cgi and thus uses more CPU! Wink

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Sorry for being dumb, but what does the nph-index.cgi script actually do?

Regards

MDJ1
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
It takes the "weight" values of fields in the Links table and creates an index of keywords, which are used in the search.cgi scripts. Two tables are updated in the re-indexing process: 1) Links_Scores_Index and 2) Links_Word_Index.

The reason that the script takes long to execute is because it updates two tables in the database and also if you increase weight values, then it takes longer to build these tables.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Ahh! es.

I have seen the index weights in the table definition and new these were to do with the search.

How often should I re-index?

Regards

MDJ1
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
I would recommend indexing at least on a daily basis to capture new keywords from added sites and links OR whenever you update the Links table (like after adding, deleting or modifying links). You can execute the nph-index.cgi script (as well as other scripts, like nph-build.cgi) via Crontab (for UNIX) or Windows Scheduler programs (like WinAT for NT).

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I am currently on a server that can not, does not, or will not change the default CPU usage settings. I am changing in a week or so, but it would be nice to be able to index. Is there any other explanation for the weird message I have been receiving when trying to index from telnet?

Quote Reply
The only suggestion I have is reducing the number values of the weight column in your Links table.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Hi!

Actually it's not cpu related (sorry Eliot Wink). The message you are seeing is the CGI module asking you to pass in any parameters to emulate CGI. You don't need to do this, so you can press <ctrl>-D to start the indexing.

Alternatively, try running:

./nph-index.cgi 0=0

and it will go right away.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex, I figured there was a solution!