Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

How to delete all spammed submissions... HELP

Quote Reply
How to delete all spammed submissions... HELP
Hi
Recently I have been spammed with over 4000 links submitted to my database that are mostly irrelevant. I do not want to waste my time checking each link and deleting them individually...This will take forever!

I'm not quite sure how this happened because I edited the 'db_referers' to only accept submissions from my domain.

Question? Is there a way to delete all submission in the admin easily?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanx...Janx

Quote Reply
Re: How to delete all spammed submissions... HELP In reply to
In Reply To:
Question? Is there a way to delete all submission in the admin easily?
Shell - Telnet

Code:

DELETE * FROM Validate

Editor.cgi

Empty option

MySQLMan

Empty option

I would recommend doing the following:

1) Add a confirmation screen in your add.cgi and modify.cgi script that users have to confirm submissions before actually submitting records into the Validate table.

2) To reduce duplicate entries (via reloading or refreshing screens), I would recommend installing the code hack that I wrote recently for qango. The code hack is located somewhere in this forum.

3) If you know who is submitting sites (either via IP or domain), then use the code hack for Links 2.0 called Block URLS that is located at the following address:

http://lookhard.hypermart.net/links-mods/

You will have to hack it a bit to work with Links SQL, but I am using the code hack to block IP addresses and domains from submitting sites.

For more information, search ALL the support forums for Spam and you will find quite a few Threads where this issue has been discussed for the different Gossamer Threads scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the quick responce to my request for help.

The problem is that my server doesn't allow access through telnet.. is there any other way of doing this?

thanks again
Janx

Quote Reply
Uh...did you see my two other suggestions!??!?!?!?!?!?!? Wink

1) USE editor.cgi
2) USE MySQLMan (available through this site if you didn't know)

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry...reading between the lines I guess. I'm very unskilled when it comes to this kind of stuff and my programmer is not available. I will try your suggestions and once again many thanks.
Janx