Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

How many links do you have?

Quote Reply
How many links do you have?
I'm wondering what the max current number of links on any copy of the script is. If you have a lot of links, please reply with how many and if your on a sharred server or dedicated along with any comment you may have about having a good deal of links.

Personally, I have ~68,600 (thank you ODP) running on a dedicated server. Building the templates takes a good 2004 seconds including backing up but it's very fast for searching, deleting and such.

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many links do you have? In reply to
well... if 28 is alot.... then that's how many i have Wink

hehe.. well.. i haven't really done much.. just testing and making some mods..

anyways.. right now i am actually looking for "hosting".. if anyone knows one that has alot of "GOOD STUFF".. and little restrictions.. please.. TELL ME..

when my contract expires with digitalspace i have to decide whether or not to go with another company.. otherwise i'd have to pay like $50/month just to get a 100 mb site..

btw.. i don't consider COMMUNITECH "good" cause they have way too many cgi restrictions..

anyways.. ted, i have been working with a links sql user for mods and such and he has a big 100,000+ links.. (102,328 or something)..

i think building pages sucks though when it's so large.. his searching was ok.. i once put a my $stime on the top and then a time()-$stime at the end (gives you elasped cpu time) and it gave me 4 seconds..

jerry

[geez.. i made like 500 errors when typing this.. tonight i was doing a haunted house thing at a park for volunteer work.. and i was *JASON*.. hehe.. I had a strobe light blinking in my eyes like the whole time and now either i keep blinking or the computer screen is blinking Wink]

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited October 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
did i mention i wanted RED HAT LINUX 6.2? Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
I dont have too many, 3000, but I get bombed with traffic, aprox 2500 uniques an hour according to Hitbox.
I am was running Links 1.1 (Non-Sql) and it was barely holding on to life Smile
The new Sql version is fast, and load is..well..what load Smile especialy since I installed mod_perl.
Well, anyway....it handles traffic real well Smile
Quote Reply
Widgets...I can host you.
I am flexible with drive space, I have 34gig free, so I am not picky.
The box is a dual Xeon 450-2mb, 1gig ram, 52 gig uw2 on raid50.
I have Apache 1.3.9 installed, with PHP 3.0.10, mod perl with LWP, MySql, and some of our own modules Smile
The OS is Solaris 7, configured with all the friendly features.
I also can host for PHP based sites with access to Oracle. I also have an Ibm Netfinity 7000 quad PPro-200 with 4gig ram, and 360gig drive space on raid5 runnning Solaris 2.6 and Oracle 8 Enterprise server with web licensing and unlimited concurrent connects. Currently using this for a side project (long story)
I am on my own dedicated 7mb feed, so bandwidth isnt a problem either.
I can host you on my domains, or host your name.
If intersted, lets talk..I am flexible.
Send me a email. cihlenfeld@digital-concepts.net

Chris
Quote Reply
Hello Jerry!

I can recommend www.pair.com as a provider.

They are not only cheap but very good. They have a special offer of 24% discount running out on 31 Oct.

You can surf arount to find out what restrictions they have and if it suits you.

By the way, how did you insert $stime to find out the cpu usage?

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Why linux....yuck...no offense Smile
I have my server configured with all the friendly features...you wouldnt know your on solaris unless I told you.
Anyway, I can give you a good deal if you want me to host you.

Chris
Quote Reply
You sound well endowed Smile I'd like to have some of that hardware, and plan to add another server probably by January. Right now I'm running on a Sparc 10, and it's not even getting exercised... I got the load up to 4% when I was recompiling my entire perl-CPAN archive <G>

I guess I can sum up the Linux vs Solaris as Linux is great for people like Widgetz who want to get into the code, and play with it, and have lots uf support, etc.

Solaris is a _very_ stable platform for running applications. It's a definite production system.

If I was going to do significant development, I'd have a linux box. Infact my next computer will have linux not M$-anything as the OS, but, my production server is Solaris, and as you said, it doesn't break a sweat. It's stable, and designed for maximum uptime. There are no surprises with it.

That may be perception only, but it's a very pragmatic view of the situation. The other details are that Solaris/Sun combination is a matched pair. I'd be more inclined to run Linux on an Intel box, than Solaris x86

Quote Reply
Solaris for Intel was highly recommended by many people as an OS for a multi-processor system.
I started with it when I got my quad ppro Ibm. I needed to run Oracle server on it, and what choices are there? hmm...windows...I dont think so! Bsdi? Now Oracle for it, Hp-ux, Irix....uh...no.. SO I went with Solaris, I had some exposure to it on my friends Sparc, and I liked it. Granted I was coming from FreeBsd and Linux, it was a big change, but I liked it. I also have a dual 400 as the app server for the oracle db box, so I used Solaris also. I put all the good stuff, atleast what I like,...bash, gcc, gtar, gzip, pico, etc.. on it. I then needed to upgrade my current 2 web servers, both where p200's , one with linux, and one with freebsd. I built a dual Xeon 450-2mb to replace the freebsd box and a dual 333 for the linux. I installed Solaris on both and configured with my fav. toys, and they both run as bullit proof production and development boxes. I couldnt see myself going back to Linux or Freebsd.
Btw..you know Sun released Solaris Intel source to the public! Part of the Open Solaris project...watch out Bill G.!! Smile
And if you are wondering why I went with Intel and not Sun hardware, well..I couldnt afford the UltraSparcs Smile

Chris
Quote Reply
On multiprocessor systems the rules change, but most people can't afford dual or quad processor machines... it's cheaper to add regular single CPU boxes.

I went with the Sparc for dependability. Right now, we have not had any down time, in 6+ months that I didn't directly cause with a system lock up, and get restarted within minutes. The hardware has been 100% uptime, and software, better than 99.9%

If I add anything I'd probably add a dual pentium box from Dell, only because I understand the Intel archetecture better, and I can custom design the machine completely. For my next machine, that is very important to me. Now, 100% uptime and performance is all I care about. I know I'd be better off from a through-put point of view with a dual sparc, or quad HP, but can't have everything Smile