Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

How many links can a link hold if a link could hold links.

Quote Reply
Sorry for the title, I should be flogged, hung drawn and quartered, then the leftovers should be tarred and feathered.

Anyway, how many links can links sql hold while still being fast, when I say fast, I mean fast like it is if say you had only 100 links in it. I am on a virtual server, but can move up to a dedicated server, 350mhz 512mb ram if need be to accomodate a lot of links if links can handle it fast enough.

------------------
Regards,
Visionary
Quote Reply
Re: How many links can a link hold if a link could hold links. In reply to
uhh.. i think mysql stays fast almost no matter what.. you can make it to like 100,000 and not see a difference.. but i don't know..

I think the main problem is the building.. i don't think Links are a problem.. categories are.. it will need to make more pages /dirs.. links only matter when the make more2.html etc..

i dunno.. i just don't think sql will get affected that much.. why else was it made..

you don't see ebay or yahoo slowing down.. (of course they probably have oracle.. but who cares Wink)

jerry
Quote Reply
MySQL can effectively handle 1,000,000 + records.

When you say 'fast' what do you mean?

Jerry pointed out that the more links you have, the longer it will take to do a build. That is being addressed with a 'build changed' option, that will only re-build pages that are affected by data in the 'hit' table.

It's not the access to the data via SQL that is slow, but the opening, writing, closing of the pages that result (ie: category pages, detail pages, etc).

It is possible, on a very large site, to have better overall performance with purely dynamic pages (something that seems to be being worked on). Where that would work is when a site has more pages than it does accesses to the pages. The build would take longer than dynamically generating/handling each request. If you are more of an 'archive' then dynamic generation will yeild better performance. If you are an active portal, static pages will increase performance.

Right now, with a few thousand pages, a build takes a minute or two (depending on your machine). 100 pages takes about 6 seconds, 500 pages takes about 19 seconds (this is doing a lot of variable substitutions, template parsing, and writing out detail pages). Most of the overhead is in startup <G>

Bottom line, is the performance you will see depends on your site, and how it's used. There's no one answer.

If you have a specific concern, the more particulars you can offer, the better.

Alex's 'test' database is the Netscape ODP database, and that's a big one!

Quote Reply
Hello Visionary!

I am learning English from you, sitting down here in Berlin, Germany, Europe. Wink Thanks. I however even now hav not understood your first sentence. Seems nice Smile.

Quote:
As many as Many Categories a category can hold if a Category can hold Many Categories (You'd be kind to tell me if I have written a bad Grammer in English).

Quote:
Anyway, how many links can links sql hold while still being fast,...

Anyway, how many Categories can links sql hold while still being fast,...

Thats the important question today more than links. I have 8,000 Categories in Geographic Links and 18,000 Categories to install in Subject Links Categories. The grographic section will grow.

Every day I receive about 200 - 300 Links request submissions. So everyday I need to build about 30 new pages for every 300 addition of new links in the database. Now I have 30,000 links already outside the Links SQL database. This 30,000 links could be on an average spread out to 7 links per page, i.e. some pages less and some more, thereby giving a number of 4,285 pages!!!

Therefore, to build 30 new pages, I shall be forced to build 4,285 pages, or rounding up - 4,000 pages Everyday.

Instead of building static pages, the number of already existing to new - which is out of proportion to build, I would think if they are dynamically build that would consume less of the cpu as against cgi-calls. Mr. Pataki brought very very interesting and clever arguments of why not to dynamically build webpages. Because it would give less burden to the server and this becomes of extreme importance when the line is a dial-up and the server is a shared one, as is the case of mine. All this is ofcourse specific to the page hits and the server configurations.

Now, the new working Unit module seems to be under development. When I saw this module that Alex was developing, I had a big hope that this kind of areas will bring very very big change to the entire development of the product. When I see what it can do, or the possibilities, they are so great! When this module combines with the entire Links SQL modules, I cannot think more how fast and more intellegent it can become. This module and its application will bring a very important change, I beleive.

Although I cannot and should not say much here without expreience. I have not had the chance to install my database from Access to Links SQL as the import-export area does not support and does not work very good. More over Alex do not support very good in terms of time. I am disappointed, stuck and frustrated since three months.

------------------
rajani

[This message has been edited by rajani (edited October 21, 1999).]