Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

How does the Relations feature work?

Quote Reply
How does the Relations feature work?
Would someone please explain how the relation feature works in links?

If I have:

Category1
Category2
Category3
Category1/Sub1
Category2/Sub1
Category3/Sub1

and want to create a link from Category2 => Category1/Sub1, would this be an instance of using the Relations feature?

Would this provide a Yahoo style link display when using templates?

Thanks!

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen

Quote Reply
Re: How does the Relations feature work? In reply to
I believe the Links SQL category relations work just the same as they do in Links 2 -- it creates a link directly to the related category wherever you place the following in category.html:

<!-- Related Categories -->
<%if related%>
<p><font face="Arial" size="3"><b>Related Categories:</b></font></p>
<font face="Arial" size="2"><%related%></font>
<%endif%>

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Kaplan (edited March 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Dan, thanks for the feedback. The related links is already coded into the category.html page. The items I don't have an understanding of include:

is this feature used elsewhere in the scripts?

can the relationship be modified/deleted/viewed once it has been created? (I see only a way to create, not to check or make any changes after creation.)

whether the example I used is a correct understanding of what defining a relationship entails.

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen

Quote Reply
Hi Karen,

No, that's the only place it's used. You will be able to delete/recreate relations once you've created a few.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
My question is when I dump my data from MySQL to HTML, I want 'aliases' or 'relations' the '@' symbol beside the categories like Yahoo! or Dmoz does.

How can I do an entire dump and have this feature be part of everycategory I am doing.. is there one file, like home.html that I can set this up in, or another way?

detailed explanation appreciated...

PEACE!
Smile