Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Help - Begginers Question.

Quote Reply
Help - Begginers Question.
Hi, I am using Links SQL for the first time, I finally set it up myself Smile

Just a quick question...

If I wanted to add a field URL what should I set the following to?

|Column Type | Form Length |Max Length |Not Null| Default Value | Validation |

Any help appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Begginers Question. In reply to
Why not just look at the definition for the URL in the Links database?

You can get the SQL statement to set it up from the SQL.mysql file, and just type it into the SQL Monitor area.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
You have already lost me Smile - I have never used MySQL or any form of SQL before and set Links SQL up about 4 hours ago, and have been opening and giving presents for most of that 4 hours Smile. Can you please expand on that answer - thansk.
Quote Reply
Links SQL uses the Table Definition (as inside MySQL) as well as a <tablename.def> file that is in the defs directory.

The defs files make Links run faster, because certain information about the table structure is outlined in a more logical way.

To add a field to the Links database, just go to the Admin.cgi program, and drop down to the Table Maintenance area and select the table you want to modify. Then, from the list presented, pick the option you want.

You can look at the definitions of the other fields by picking "Update Field" and seeing what the field most like what you are trying to add looks like.

You can then go to Add Field and do the adding.

------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks,

I have figured out most of this now - Starting to like SQL a lot Smile -> I find that I am manuelly editing the def files alot though, have you guys often found you had to do this???
Quote Reply
I did at first.

Once I got the database where I wanted it, I edited the SQL.mysql file, and I've carried that through the various versions.

I also made two copies of the Links.def and the Category.def files with the "required" fields set to '0' and one with my custom settings.

That way if I rebuild, or otherwise have to set up the database, I have copies of the files with the changes I've made.

Once you get the major changes done, it's easier to edit through the table editor for the minor changes.

------------------