Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Exporting database - not overwriting

Quote Reply
Exporting database - not overwriting
There seem to be 2 problems with export in editor.cgi.

1. It seems to export but does not return a success message, just a blank white screen.

2. The first time a file is exported, it does export it, but any subsequent export will not overwrite the file. Does this mean that I must remove the previous file or export the file with a different name all the time?

The code seems right but ? Alex ... could you check this out when you have time.

Thanks, Happy New Millenium.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Exporting database - not overwriting In reply to
I have a similar problem. When I try to export the data (Links or Categories), I enter a file name, but it doesn't seem to create that file, and I just get a white screen. Do I need to create a blank file first? If so in which directory would I put it? (e.g. admin, backup, etc.) Any help would be much appreciated...

Also, if I want to import data (categories or links) and specify a file name, which directory would I put the file or do I need to specify a directory path? Any help would be much appreciated!

-FM
Quote Reply
To import or export files, you can use quick mode and must specify the whole path.

Export seems to work but only if the file doesn't exist and you can save it to any directory, provided it is chmod to 666 (read and write privileges.

Same with import. Just make sure that you type in the whole path where the file is and that the file is chmod 666.

Kevin
Quote Reply
I've had the same "blank, white screen" problem when trying to export as well. I've tried the suggestions to create a directory with 666 permissions and I have always provided the full path in the filename field. I also ensured that there was no other file with the same name in the directory. In fact, the directory was empty.

Regardless of what I try, I get nothing. No feedback screen and no file in the intended directory or anywhere else for that matter.

I could use some help because I really need to export my links data to a flat file.

Quote Reply
Heh, I just solved my problem by going around the Export function.

I wrote a SQL query in the SQL monitor. Here's what I wrote on a single line in the textarea box:

SELECT Title, URL, URL1, CategoryID, Description, Link FROM Links ORDER BY CategoryID

I didn't supply a filename so it would print to the screen and VOILA! It worked. For a SQL newbie like me that successful experience was close to . . . well, I'll just stop now.

Quote Reply
The directory itself should be 777. For some reason, if you don't provide "execute" permissions on a directory, some Unix OS's don't let you really do anything to it.

Remember "666" is the number of the beast <G>

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/