Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Errors During Install and Re-Index

Quote Reply
Errors During Install and Re-Index
I am having a few problems following a re-install of LinksSQL 1.1.

Firstly, I use setup.cgi - delete the tables, create new ones (and this goes without a hitch). I have added a few fields into SQL.mySQL (In other words I have inserted some fields that were not in the same order as comes with the package).

I then run Import.pl to import my Links2 db, and around 2400 or so links I then start getting an error message 'memory' or something similar - 'requires 8192 bytes'.

Checking the tables it appears as though all my links are imported - despite the constant error message whilst it imports another 500 or so links.

I then run a re-index (which runs extremely slowly) - often choking around the 2000 links mark.

Around 2300 links or so I then get a 'software' error similar to the following:-Search (13127): Couldn't update earn
Fatal: Search (13127): Fatal: Couldn't update earn at ../Links/DBSQL.pm line 1606

The rest of the links have similar errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

------------------
Clint
----------------------------------
http://www.AffiliatesDirectory.com
Proud Supporter of Links 2

Quote Reply
Re: Errors During Install and Re-Index In reply to
This sounds like a perl/os error.

Are you running under NT or Unix?

Quote Reply
Hi,

This sounds like one of two things then:

1) Your server needs a reboot and/or more memory.

or

2) Alex is going to have to answer on the specifics of memory handling in the depths of DBSQL.pm.

But, since he's been able to run ODP, as have others, I'd imagine it's something on your end.

Do you have enough RAM? Is your TEMP/SWAP space filled up? Do you have enough disk/free space in the .../mysql/data directory?

One easy way to clear everything out if you run your own servers is to reboot. Unix does a garbage collection of sorts to clear out temp files, and compact swap, etc.

Quote Reply
Pugdog:

I'm running under Unix. I tried it again and now get the following message when using import:

"Out of Memory (Needed 8164 bytes)"

This repeats itself, around the 2300 link mark until the end - but it still appears to import the links.

I get the message repeating itself, line after line (I imagine as every link is added).

I also attempted a re-index (after checking that the last few hundred links had not been indexed). I received the following error around the 2100 link mark:

Search (10747): Fatal: Couldn't update site at Links/DBSQL.pm line 1582

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

------------------
Clint
www.AffiliatesDirectory.com
Proud Supporter of Links 2

[This message has been edited by Clint (edited March 17, 2000).]