Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Duplicate check when submitting

Quote Reply
Duplicate check when submitting
Does linksSQL check for duplicates when someone adds a resource?

If not, could it check the validate table for the URL being submitted? Only on a simple scale, i.e.; and exact URL match. This would give at least some people an idea that their site is awaiting validation. Or perhaps a form where people could add the URL they would like to submit, and links would check against the validate table?

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: Duplicate check when submitting In reply to
This should be a relatively simple mod to the "add.cgi" or "modify.cgi".

Let's see what new features are in the next links, but if you need it now, just look at the code in jump.cgi for add/insert into the hits_track table, and put similar code (logicwise) into the add.cgi and modify.cgi to prevent duplicate additions.

You'd want to check the Links and Validate tables. The "verify" table would be out of date unless you ran a verify between the two adds.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Hello!

I had a similar problem last year before I gave up the project of Links SQL!

I found a script stripper that takes away a specified variable. So for e.g. if you wanted http:// taken out mention it as a variable and the same like www.!

So what I tried to do was that it would stripp off the http://www. and insert the remaining URL in the Validate table. This URL field property would be UNIQUE. Therefore there would be NO Chance to have a duplicate.

Anathor highly qualitative method was to invoke a utility that would search for an IP address and insert into a seperate field. URL & IP_address field would be UNIQUE!!! So there would be NO chance to have a duplicate URL or any webaddress! This would also prevent people submitting same IP_address with different domain names.

The checking script in the Links SQL does NOT do unfourtanetly and people could easily submit many domain names with different cattegories having the same IP address!!!:)

What I find an interesting thing is that if:

Add.cgi checks at least the domain name from the URL centre of the database and that it would not permit if it exists. What is happening NOW is that everything is going into the Validate table, gets the attention of the admin, and later on realize that it was already there! SO if a FIELD CHECK on defined table/s is/are done, for e.g. Links table on certain fiendsand/or Validate, that would help save everyones time.

For that matter, I did not ever understand the ENTIRE purpose of Validate table which really breaks the UNIQUENESS of the database! If everything is submitted to the Links table where everything is checked and has an extra field of status, which it has anyway, then there could be more controls over the entire database.

So whatt you are asking is only simply about the URL and I was thinking over other fields too! For e.g. passwords. If set to UNIQUE, it will not allow a duplicate and will eliminate during add.cgi step:)
Quote Reply
Hi Rajani,

Long time! Links SQL does not enforce links to be unique because a lot of people don't want that. Take for instance a listing in the DBMan Sites In Action category, and a Links Sites In Action category. The entries have the same URL (to the persons home page), but different title + description. There are lots of cases where you would want two separate listings with the same URL.

As for checking the IP, nowadays alot of people use name based hosts so this is not an option.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

Yes, Long Time! Its has been a long time before I gave up the nightmares. My last thread to your forum was

"Alex, I am very tired of Links SQL!!!"

This was indeed not a joke. Exactly a year ago I was one of your first buyers and received a lot of help. But I could not handle nightmares that resulted after it. In the last email I did write you that I am on the verge of putting it on ice, if the Build Category only or Update only mod is not done. This is still true till today, if you check my posts, exactly 350 in number till now!!! :) I am still an unhappy customer of yours. Yor priorities was to bring out a checking of dying / Dead URLs instead of Build_Update mod for people who may not have to build the ENTIRE directory for a link.

Yor argument about UNIQUE, is true for the purpose that you want to use. That is true for me as well. I would like to have the same URL listed in different categories. So to tell you, we are speaking the same story.

However, my point was a little different indeed. What is happening is as follows:

If there is an URL in the database that has been submitted once in three categories. But if the peoson tries to submit again, there is no check. It may exist in the Links Table and may also have been Validated. But if it is not in the Validate table, it gets in and then the admin realizes that it is already there-. Therefore there is no central check of any form any where or no way to make it unless one orients directly in the Links table, where all would be possible. it is just the question of the status of the link, CONCEPTUALLY speaking. The status could be, V, M, N, D, etc giving to validate, modify, new, deleted or to delete, etc.

So the properties of the objects are better under control. So also there is no Mess like ID of the table of Validate or Links or Modify etc, which is there now. This would also give a safe method of dividing the table data in to different ones. Now everything goes in to Validate. But I may not want it. I may want to have it divided right away, to for e.g. user table etc. So for any other purpose a user gets in a table (UBB or Links or any other purpose), regardless of if it gets validated or not, he will be identified, with many other properties. May be I am not explaining in the right way.