Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Couple of questions

Quote Reply
Couple of questions
Hi there, havn't been here for a long long time but thinking of moving to links sql for a new site. I have a few questions:

VBulletin:

Our site uses vbulletin as our forum software and this is the major focus of the site.

We would somehow like to share database of users. Registered users could vote for links, add reviews and submit links using the username they have already registered. I would not want to just copy the database over but use the vbulletin database the whole time.

Large links.

One use of links sql will be for what we can call an article database with all the articles stored on server. If using links2.0 my plan was to have detailed build on with the article called there, possibly using SSI to a text file of the article. This was so i did not have a 10mb flat file datbase.

Using mySQL i assume that this would not be a problem and storing articles like this is going to be easy.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Couple of questions In reply to
Regarding integration of forum and other features...there have been a number of Threads in the Links SQL forums that have addressed this issue.

Regarding the article database...that would be relatively easy to do with Links SQL and MySQL can handle a lot of data (like over 50,000 records with tons of data in fields). Of course, these numbers vary between servers and accounts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: Couple of questions In reply to
I posted some links a week or two ago on the capability of mysql. Don't remember which forum.

But in general, on most operating systems, they can have file sizes of 4 gig (OS dependent, it's 8+ on Solaris 7), tables with 1,000,000 records and 40+ fields have been run for years on some systems.

I really haven't run into anyone who's actually expanded beyond the capability of MySQL for websites, unless they've needed transactional ability, and that is in beta test for MySQL at the moment.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/