Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Cool mod
I made a "Report a bad/dead link" mod today.

It allows you to put a "Report as bad/dead link" link in the link description. I put it next to "Rate it" on my site.
When the surfer clicks on the "Report as bad/dead link" link, it takes them to page asking them to select a problem from a drop down box and submit it.
Upon submiting it, the system will actually spider the url and then send out an email to the sysadmin with the link info, the surfer's problem with the link, and the spider results. The email also has a link to delete that url from the db.
Here is a sample of the email output:
Quote:
The following link was reported as being bad/dead:

ID: 1364
Title: foobar
URL: http://foo.com/foobar
Problem: 404 Not Found
Spider Result: 404 Not Found

To delete this link:
http://foo.com/admin/admin.cgi?db=Links&do=delete_records&delete=1364

Sincerely,

Links Manager.

If anyone is interested, I can post this mod somewhere.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Cool mod In reply to
Sounds good, may you send me a copy?

Robert

BTW: If the mod is stable, you should send it to Alex, he can set it inside the SQL-Mods-Section.
Quote Reply
Is this the same as Eliots mod for links 2.0?

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
sounds like it
Quote Reply
You should post the mods in the "Resource Center". Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

Quote Reply
can't you just use nph-verify.cgi? it's has much more features than links 2.0s.. also.. it's faster..

otherwise you can even make jump.cgi check the link if it hasn't been checked for X number of days.. the user will never notice..

jerry
Quote Reply
Yeah, it could be done in the verify, but this allows the surfer to tell you what problems he is having, and it checks real time whats wrong and sends you an email with a delete link in it.
At least this way, my surfers are doing the work for me, and I dont have to run a lengthy, resource intensive verify program Smile

I have also done a mod for checking if a return-link has been posted prior to adding the surfer's link to the system. It will actually verify they have put up the return-link, if not, then add.cgi will return an error to them.

Chris
Quote Reply
I finally got around to posting this mod in the resource area.

Chris