Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Change the user interface

Quote Reply
Change the user interface
I am ready to change the demo page/search page of Links SQL. I cannot get a handle on how and where to start. I know there are templates you can change. I am not sure which one I should start with. I am sure that people do that all the time. Can someone give me an idea?

Quote Reply
Re: Change the user interface In reply to
Start with the home.html and category.html template files. You can either use a Text editor (if you know raw HTML) or a WYSIWIG editor (like DreamWeaver or Front Page) to edit those files.

When you have a good layout created, you can plug the HTML codes into your other template files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Hi, Eliot and pugdog and those that can help: 1. I want to get rid of those top links "Add a Resource" Modify a Resource, ..." as well as footer stuff from my user access page. I found them in header.txt and footer.txt. Will bad things happen to me if I get rid of the line "<%include header.txt%>" and <%include footer.txt%>? I Just want to ask before I mess up anything, 2. I want to change the color and wording of the banner on the top stating "Links SQL Demo:". So where is <%site_title%>? What will be the consequence if I change them? 3. Can I create my own user interface page totally and discard the default one? What must I include in my page from the default page (home.html or search.html) beside CGI form action? Thanks.

Quote Reply
I would suggest formatting your own header and footer info by editing the header.txt and footer.txt.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I broke my pages up into "zones"

The top "zone" is a header.inc file.'

Below that is an advert.inc file

Then comes a navigation.inc file

Then comes the blocks of areas for the insertion of the links variables, and my sidebar.inc file.

Then comes a navigation2.inc file (usually the same as the file above).

Then comes the footer.inc and copyright.inc files.

Your page layout will vary, but it _really_ behooves you to come up with a generic page format, then put everything that is on more than one page into an .inc or .txt file to include. It makes site maintennance much, much easier.

Also, the next version of links will most likely parse include files that include files. I meant to ask Alex how he plans to avoid a recursive endless looping.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/