Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Build Error

Quote Reply
Build Error
I am now getting the following error Software error:
unable to open home page: /usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/djzine.com/htdocs/index.html. Reason: Permission denied at nph-build.cgi line 556.
my isp has had problems recently.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Reply
Re: Build Error In reply to
Ok,

That means that the place you are asking links to write the file your server does ont have permission to do.

You should put Links in a _subdirectory_ such as .../htdocs/pages and set the permissions of the 'pages' directory to 777 so that your server can read/write to it. If you want people to be able to just hit your site from the domain name, you should have your ISP set up some redirection for you (a simple ln -s won't usually work because the references will be off). The reason is that you don't want your whole server to be "read-write" enabled to the world.

The _OTHER_ way around this, is to change the permissions on your htdocs directory temporarily. Build your site. Then change the _FILE_ permissions of the index.html file to 777 and the permissions of the various subdirectories that links built to 777 as well (chmod -R 777 directory_name).

Then, change the file permissions of your htdocs directory back to 755 (or whatever it was before).

This will allow Links to read/write to those files and directories, while still protecting the rest of your server.

If you _never_ edit the directory tree, you might want your ISP to set the owner of the file and the directories to the user of the "server" You probably will not be able to edit them, but the server can then write to them. And, _usually_ you do not have to edit those directories. The only thing is that "garbage" can collect in them in the form of old "new" files and such.

This _IS_ a security thing, and you need to think about whatever solution you pick.

Quote Reply
Changed permissions to 777 for html.docs. When I try to change the index.html, attributes set at 644, returns error
550 index.html: Not owner

Clueless.
Quote Reply
That's probably what happened. The only way around that is to have your ISP reset everything.
Quote Reply
Yeah my ISP has been restricting ftp access because of server problems and they must of changed the permissions. I will ask them to reset.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
My isp told me to delete index.html and then re upload it. Now I am getting the following error
Can't open file: 'Build_Update.ISM'. (errno: 137) at nph-build.cgi line 140.

All the pages are now blank.???

Thanks
Quote Reply
Hi,

That's a database problem. Talk with your ISP.