Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Backup file bug?

Quote Reply
Backup file bug?
I went through my backup directory, and noticed something very weird.

I have some HTML code in my file descriptions, and every <BR> and <P> in the description causes a newline in the backup file.

Wouldn't the backup file be 'safer' if it was written out as pipe-delimited, with tabs expanded to spaces, since the pipe character *is* one character you really want to filter out of any input command?? Also, the pipe is the standard field separator of flat files on Unix/perl and most utilities use it as the delimeter. The backup *really* should be secure.

And... rather than keeping just 7 backups, since during debugging, modifications, advertiser changes, etc, I may run the build several times a day, how about an option to keep x-number of backups, but ONE PER DAY like Links 2.0. ??? In short order I could overrun good backups with spoiled copies.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Backup file bug? In reply to
Hi Scott,

I'll look into the newlines not being escaped properly. As for using tabs as the separator, I chose that as it's the default separator when importing back into mysql, although using | would be just as easy.

Good suggestion about the backups. I actually switched from once per day to the last seven as people often complain that it gets out of hand. Maybe I should make it an option.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Backup file bug? In reply to
How about ... last 7 but no more than once per day .. keep seven days, or 7 backups, whichever is longer. Smile