Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Alternative to Bad Link Mod??

Quote Reply
Alternative to Bad Link Mod??
I have had a lot of fun playing around with Links SQL 1.11 and I have hacked the jump.cgi to include the following features:

1) Frameset (top window - rating and link info, bottom window - link page)
2) LWP check before showing the link. If there is a problem with accessing the link, then an error page appears and an email message is automatically sent to the Site Administrator.

If you have LWP installed in your server and if you want the second modification (the first one I've already posted in the forum), let me know and I will post the codes.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Bad Link Mod?? In reply to
Hi Eliot,

I'm really interested in Part 1 of the mod, but not in Part 2 - why ?

I have running Bad Link mod a while ago and its a very good way to improve links MANUALLY (if an user use the report bad link-script), because:

1) A lot of servers has problems from time to time, but often only for minutes
2) Some older links has moved to another server, and no script is able to tell me that there is a note in the target-site...
3) A few sites are not compatible with all browsers, so the only way is to visit it and check it

I think the part 2 of Your code will produce a lot of mails (too much ?), because server-errors are normally from time to time...(e.g. tripod, geocities, freehosters and so on)

But I'm really interested in part 1 - it looks like the thing I posted before in forum...

Thanks for posting,

DMK
M.Lutz

Quote Reply
Again, #1 has already been posted in this forum in the Launching Frameset Thread.

And to address your concerns...I have found that without using LWP to check the validity of user's responses regarding bad links that I got swamped with fraudalent messages. When I installed the LWP codes in deadlink.cgi, the messages were reduced by 60 percent and also the messages were more accurate.

And the LWP checker codes only look for the following:

1) Active sites
2) 505 Internal Server Errors
3) 404 Not Found

So, it ignores 301 and 302 (Moved - Temporarily and Permanent).

So...no, you won't be flooded with email messages! Tongue

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,

that sound very good - thanks for Your very fast (!) answer...

I think I have to test it by myself before making noise...

DMK
Marcus

Quote Reply
Okay...that is one "sort of interested" vote. If there are more people who want the codes, then I will post them. If not, then I guess I will keep this little gem for myself.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
Links would not be links, if everyone holds his "gems" back -
so please, please open your mind and give us the code :-)

Robert

Quote Reply
Go ahead and post it :)

There are at least a dozen bad-links mods floating around, but none of them do an LWP pre-check.

It's a trick that might help others with some related problems.

The only thing I've used LWP for was for a 3 line program to snag the ODP file to my server.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
I may post them...I did add some if condition flags for the email process, so that if you don't want any email sent (why I don't know...defeats the purpose of being alerted automatically via email about errors in your database/site). Let's see what other people think before I post the codes. I have only seen two people interested in this particular modification...not enough interest in my book to post a Mod. Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee