Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

AltCategories links not appearing in categoies

Quote Reply
AltCategories links not appearing in categoies
I have successfully installed the Priority Mod but now when I add a link to an alternative category and run "Build All" the link is not reflected at all in the 2nd or alternate category, only in its "Main Category." Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thnaks in advance.

Mark G.
OhioBiz
www.ohiobiz.com

Quote Reply
Re: AltCategories links not appearing in categoies In reply to
The Priority Mod only looks at primary categories NOT alternative categories. You would have to hack the script a bit if you want to also recognize alternative categories.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot,

Thanks a lot.

Mark G.

Quote Reply
I've been using a modified form of this, but you'll be happy to know that in Links SQL 2.0 there are _no_ primary or alternate categories. Links are entered in the database, then assigned categories, via a table relation CatLinks which consists of the LinkID => CategoryID

This will break a lot of mods that depend on the link having a category, but it will also make a lot more mods work by making the process of getting links in a category a select/join from the CatLink table, rather than from the Links table, and a separate select from an alt-link, etc.

It also means that the CatLink table is _very_ important to back up, since without it, you end up with a lot of links and no organization :)

But, it effectively gets rid of any "alt" status, and almost all the problems of the current version (1.1x).

It's been discussed adding a field to the CatLink table to set a "priority" status to a certain category (there are some reasons why you might want to do this), but it's not there yet.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ