Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Alex, when is the new version going to be out?

Quote Reply
Alex, when is the new version going to be out?
Is there a tentative date? What new features will be added?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Alex, when is the new version going to be out? In reply to
You can expect a lot more details about the new release (it's quite major) along with a schedule end of this week. Lot of changes going on right now. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
This might be a silly question, but since I am almost finished building my first go around of this and adding a lot of mods and customizing and such, what is the upgrade process like when a new version comes out.. Now that I have invested a ton of time in this, and I see a new version is about to come out, I'm a little worried about going through this whole process again.

Jerry
Quote Reply
<G> that's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. That's why I've been stalling the past few weeks.

The upgrades _should_ be transparent (or almost) from the point of view of the templates, and any changes to your database will probably not affect anything.

You may have to add some additional fields for Links's new features though.

Given that, the way to upgrade is to put the upgrade into a separate directory, and have it generate output in a separate directory, but use the same database. That way, you can test out the new features, make sure it works, then just copy things over to your "public" area, and make the path changes to Links.pm and you are in business.

That's how I do it. Every site I run has a test site attached to it. They share the same database (I used to use different databases, but that soon got tiresome... I just write my Hits_track and Build_updates to the test database by changing the database at the top of the .def files), and use the Links and Categories tables from the main database. Works great. Once I get the changes done to the test area, I can integrate them to the public area quickly.

Links.pm and HTML_Templates.pm are site-specific, so changes have to made to each of the files individually. Also, my jump.cgi is site specific (I have it heavily modified). But every other file is _not_ and could be moved from one links set up to another without a problem.

I spent a lot of time developing template sets that use include files and put all the site specific information in the Links.pm, HTML_Templates, and a few "header".inc files. Even those are mostly configured from the HTML_Templates files (remember, an include file is parsed before it's included).

So, off hand, I'd say you'll have a lot more features, and some work to make them work the way you want, but probably not as much as an upgrade to Links 2.0 would be! Smile
Quote Reply
And Oracle?
Quote Reply
/me anxiously awaiting the new release Smile

The most important thing (for me personally) that I hope gets added in this version Alex, is the ability to completely move categories.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Can you guys please tell me what is going to be in the new one.
Ie there is going to be some kind of spider.
What else will there be?
Quote Reply
If you want spider software why not grab URL Spider Pro? It outputs to Links format and is quite stable.

Look here:

http://www.innerprise.net/us.htm
Quote Reply
First,

Their spider only works on windows, and most people seem to be running Unix/Perl.

Their spider is $149, and so far Alex has not indicated if it will be a part of the Link SQL package or an add on.

Their spider writes out Links 2.0 format files, and Links SQL can have a spider write directly to the database, or it can have the spider write into another database and then import the links you want.

I'd wait and see what Links has to offer. Once you go SQL, and use all the development that has gone into the SQL database engine (any flavor) you give up a lot of the tricky, work around, and complicated processes you have with flat files and can concentrate on your data.

Quote Reply
pundog, I am allready using LinksSQL on www.gamescore.com

I allready know of its great features. I gave the spider as a thing I thought may be in the new version. I was interested in finding out what else may be in it.
Quote Reply
My reply was about the innerprise spider. The only guess I can make about Links SQL is what I said here:

Quote:
Their (innerprise) spider is $149, and so far Alex has not indicated if it (his new spider) will be a part of the Link SQL package or an add on.

(corrected some loose pronoun-references)

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited May 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I think that it is few weeks since I noticed on forums that new version of Links SQL will be out. But notathing yet.
What is wrong ?