Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

A couple of modification questions..

Quote Reply
A couple of modification questions..
I've search but not found anything if it would be possible to do this within LinksSQL:

(1) Ability to take a search (i.e. weather) and suggest other search options (ie weather channel, weather forecast? How difficult would it be to put this together?

(2) How to allow searches done on your site. Give the visitor the ability to search other search engine sites. Like on yahoo, where if you do a search for weather then at the bottom you can click on the link to goggle and automatically do a search on weather.

Any suggestions would be appericated...

Thanks,

Sean Mott
http://www.weathertalk.net
Internet's best weather search engine
Quote Reply
Re: A couple of modification questions.. In reply to
In Reply To:
Ability to take a search (i.e. weather)
If you mean by specific fields within the Links table other than using the query keyword search...it would be difficult...basically, you would need to hack the DBSQL and SEARCH modules to do this.

In Reply To:
...and suggest other search options (ie weather channel, weather forecast?
Piece of cake....

1) Copy the query string from these other search engines.
2) Then replace whatever keyword you used with the following tag:

Code:

<%term%>

in the search_results.html template file.

In Reply To:
How difficult would it be to put this together?
If you do not understand Perl, mod_Perl, then it would be very difficult. Wink

In Reply To:
How to allow searches done on your site. Give the visitor the ability to search other search engine sites. Like on yahoo, where if you do a search for weather then at the bottom you can click on the link to goggle and automatically do a search on weather.
Seems like a redundant question...see my above comments.

Heed this advice: If you use external query strings, be aware that they change ALL the time, which would mean more time spent on editing your template files to make sure that you have the current query string....I used link to tons of external search sites and also used LWP to print results in my search result page from Altavista search results, but I found it to be a big pain to continually update the scripts and template file to keep up with external search engines.

Regards,

Eliot Lee