Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

[BUG?] maxlength is empty

Quote Reply
[BUG?] maxlength is empty
I can't use Netscape, in the admin area, to encode data in fields other than text area ones (No problem with Explorer).
The generated HTML source code show an empty value of the maxlength attribute of some fields (Category Name, for example). It seems Netscape is more restrictive than Explorer.

maxlength is defined in DBSQL.pm:

# Display a regular text field.
else { $output .= qq~<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%><input type=text name="$name" value="${$rec}{$field}" size="~ . ${$self->{'db_form_len'}}{$field} . qq~" maxlength="~ . ${$self->{'db_lengths'}}{$field} . qq~"></td></tr>\n~; }

It seems there's something wrong when retrieving the values from the table that defines the attribute values of fields (I checked if these values were well defined in the maintenance section and they are)

Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Quote Reply
Re: [BUG?] maxlength is empty In reply to
What version of netscape are you using?

And, it may sound silly, but did you reboot, and try it again on a "fresh" machine?

I'm having cookie problems with MSIE, so it seems each browser has it's own quirks and problems.

Quote Reply
Re: [BUG?] maxlength is empty In reply to
>What version of netscape are you using?
I use the 4.73 netscape version on a Macintosh G3.

>And, it may sound silly, but did you reboot, and try it again on a "fresh" machine?
I did. I tried on another Macintosh. Same problem. Nothing is silly when tracking a bug Smile

I tried on a NT station with Netscape, 4.0x version, and it works.

Nevertheless, the generated HTML code is the same. The maxlenght value is wrong (since it's empty) and that comes from the script!

Quote Reply
maxlength bug fixed In reply to
pugdog, in ${$self->{'db_lengths'}}{$field} , db_lengths is not defined anywere. It must be db_max_length I think. Everything seems to work nice when this fix is applied and the generated HTML code has the right values.
Could you confirm this is the needed fix, please?. I have not a deep knowledge of Links SQL scripts as you.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: maxlength bug fixed In reply to
Where exactly did you make this fix? I'll go look and see. It makes sense to make sure all the fields have all the necessary values in place -- especially the larger the display page gets. Windows can allocate resources more exactly.

I know Alex was able to fix some other display bugs during the beta, this may be one more elusive one.

Quote Reply
Re: maxlength bug fixed In reply to
in DBSQL.pm search in lines after # Display a regular text field.