Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

"Featured," "Popular," and "Cool Links"

Quote Reply
"Featured," "Popular," and "Cool Links"
Hi,

I'm just looking for a little logical clarification:

1) What does the "Featured" field refer to?
2) How are links determined to be "Popular"? Is it by site vists or voting? If a site is flagged as Popular, is it a "Cool" site, or are these different?
3) How are links determined to be "Cool"? I have my DB set to includ ethe top 1% of lins but, again, is it by site visits or voting?

Thank you very much!

Quote Reply
Re: "Featured," "Popular," and "Cool Links" In reply to
1) Are you talking about a mod? I'm not aware of any built in 'Featured' option. I put together a featured sites mod, and I believe others have, too.

2&3) 'Popular' and 'Cool' are one and the same. This is a point of confusion for a lot of new Links users, as the documentation is a bit sparse in that area. They are determined by # hits (i.e. visits) to that link, and the cutoff is based on percentage or a max number as set in the configuration file.

Flagging a site as popular/cool through the admin does not place it in the cool list unless it has enough hits to qualify it for inclusion.

'Top Rated' is determined by ratings.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Quote Reply
Dan,

Thanks for the help. I seem to have a "Featured" field in my DB... I can't remember if I created it or not, but it seems as though I must have. Can you confirm this so that I can safely delete it?

Thanks,

Adam

Quote Reply
Well, I can't confirm what you did or didn't do, but I know that field was not included in my original distribution. I'm 99% certain (with no money back guarantee Smile) that you added it in and can safely remove it.

Weren't you asking about setting up a featured or top-5 section in another thread?

Dan

Quote Reply
Dan,

Yeah, I was asking about that mod. I successfully installed the "Priority" mod and it is working fine. I'm pretty sure that I added the "Featured" field as I was trying out other mods.

Thanks for the help.

Adam