Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

why should one upgrade to sql version

Quote Reply
why should one upgrade to sql version
please expound ... is there a limit to the number of links/categories which can be stored by 2.0 standard?

does one need a special server?

please explain, if my site works out i will be the first to upgrade but because it is a non-profit site run in my spare time i have no money at the moment to pay for sql ... also will it be able to import links from 2.0 std? thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: why should one upgrade to sql version In reply to
In Reply To:
is there a limit to the number of links/categories which can be stored by 2.0 standard?
Yep...the "tested" range is between 3,000 and 5,000 depending on how many fields you add, how much data you allow to be stored in each field, and also on your hardware/software configurations of your server (as discussed quite a few times in the Links 2.0 Discussion Forum where Links SQL versus Links 2.0 has been discussed!)

In Reply To:
does one need a special server
Not necessarily, but you do need the following installed in your account or a server in the network where you store your web site:

1) DBD:MySQL
2) MySQL account/server
3) mod_perl

But, for best performance, a dedicated server is not a bad idea...Yet LINKS SQL can run on a virtual server as well.

In Reply To:
please explain, if my site works out i will be the first to upgrade but because it is a non-profit site run in my spare time i have no money at the moment to pay for sql ... also will it be able to import links from 2.0 std? thank you.
Links 2.0 is shareware, not freeware, means that you should register a license for it. Gossamer Threads has special conditions set-up for non-for-profits. Ask him about it.

And yes, you can import data from Links 2.0 into the Links SQL application.

Regards,

Eliot Lee