Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

verison 3.0 link names

Quote Reply
verison 3.0 link names
Hi: is it possible with gossamer links version 3 to do something that links don't look generic (.......jump.cgi?ID=10), but to look as they really are ?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [kobazz] verison 3.0 link names In reply to
Hi,

You mean show the URL as it is? (instead of jump.cgi)

The easiest way to do this - would just be to add this into the header:

Code:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
function trackclick(ID) {
if(document.images){
(new Image()).src="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID="+ID;
}
return true;
}
// -->
</script>

Then, in link.html change:

Code:
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi"

..to:

Code:
<a href="<%URL%>" onclick="return trackclick(<%ID%>);"

If you don't care about tracking the hits, then juse edit:

Code:
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi"

..to:

Code:
<a href="<%URL%>"

I'm going to move this post for ya to the customization forum, as I think its more appropriate for there Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thank you. I 've pasted into pre sales section because I am thinking about buying software.
I know a guy who told me that he had a chance to try gossamer and told me that this can't be done what is obviosely not true. Is there a way to test version 3 (trial)?
I will show him your answer later today, to see what he will say to this.

Another important thing for me:
I've searched forums and I can see that there is clear explanation hot to set that every link in database is opened in new window but those posts are several years old so I am looking for explanation for latest available version that can be purchased. Is there tutorial for this (guy also told me that this is not possible, he was probably looking into some options and all this is about code editing)

thanks
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ah ok - I've moved it back for you then :)

Quote:
I know a guy who told me that he had a chance to try gossamer and told me that this can't be done what is obviosely not true. Is there a way to test version 3 (trial)?
I will show him your answer later today, to see what he will say to this.

I'm afraid there is no "trial" option.

Quote:
Another important thing for me:
I've searched forums and I can see that there is clear explanation hot to set that every link in database is opened in new window but those posts are several years old so I am looking for explanation for latest available version that can be purchased. Is there tutorial for this (guy also told me that this is not possible, he was probably looking into some options and all this is about code editing)

So you just want to open links in a new window? Just edit link.html, and change:

Code:
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">

to:

Code:
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>" target="_blank">

Simple as that Smile

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] verison 3.0 link names In reply to
So obviously, my resource don't know much and presenting himself as some kind of guru.Everything what I need is possible. :)

One more thing (I did research on forums for term analytics, but I am only getting two results) : is it possible to easily insert google analytics code for whole site based on gossamer links 3.x?
I can see that you are suggesting some other solution but I am into analytics for a long time and it is important for me so I can compare data and use filters there.

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote:
So obviously, my resource don't know much and presenting himself as some kind of guru.Everything what I need is possible. :)

Whistle

Quote:
One more thing (I did research on forums for term analytics, but I am only getting two results) : is it possible to easily insert google analytics code for whole site based on gossamer links 3.x?
I can see that you are suggesting some other solution but I am into analytics for a long time and it is important for me so I can compare data and use filters there.

You mean putting the analytics Javascript code through the WHOLE site? If so, its a piece of cake - just add it into include_common_header.html and it will show up on ALL the pages Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Almost anything is possible since you have the source to the code - just depends on how much work is involved in getting it done.

There's no trial version, but you can view the glinks demo and the manual.

Adrian