Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

understanding of linkssql license

Quote Reply
understanding of linkssql license
Hi,

I'd bought a linkssql 2.2.1 license and wonder the definition of "installation".

Can I install it twice under one domain say, www.abc.com/cgi-bin/a/ and www.abc.com/cgi-bin/b/?

if yes, can I input the license code in each installation? I'd realized I need input the license code first if want to install any plugin. Will this make gossamer-thread think I installed twice?

Tks,

Hong
Quote Reply
Re: [cefs99] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Hi,

No, like most software, Links SQL only allows one installation of the software (i.e. installed only into abc.com/cgi-bin/a/). To prevent abuse from people making changes and using a single install to run for all their clients, we also only allow your one installation to be on one domain.

We do offer discounts for multiple copies if you need it.

Hope that makes sense,

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Ok, we have one installation running on our server. Can we run more than one installation on one server? Or do we need to get another server for another installation? Or can we run cgi-bin/LinksSQL-1/ cgi-bin/LinksSQL-2/ on the same server?

We have one giant server, with several domain names on it. We'd like to run LinksSQL on more than one domain name - but on the same server. So there is only one CGI-BIN for all domain names.

Here is another question. We are running one copy of LinksSQL as an articles database... do we have to buy another copy to put up another articles database, or because we are running it for the same reason, do we have to re-license it?

We will be buying another license for a links directory, but that is a separate application.
Quote Reply
Re: [renken] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
1 license number = 1 installation (i.e in /cgi-bin/a/)
2 license number's = 2 installation's (i.e in /cgi-bin/a/ and /cgi-bin/b/, or on totally seperate domains).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [renken] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Hi,

You can install two copies on the same domain (i.e. one in /cgi-bin/linkssql1/, the other in /cgi-bin/linkssql2/). With database prefixes, you can even have two installations using the same database. However, two installations does require two licenses.

Hope that makes sense,

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
The recent post in the announcements forum indicates that Links will more or less have an activation system, and can only be activated a set number of times. How does this affect test installations?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

A couple of other cases re: licensing.

1. If I want to upgrade my site and move to a dedicated server for example, there will be a transition period where I'll need 2 copies running simultaneously to do some testing on the new site and for the DNS update to propragate. Would GT accomodate the changeover by relaxing the automated checks temporarily if this were the case ? How long would we have to transition and deactivate the old installation ?

2. What if I want to install 1 offline version of GLinks on a local intranet server for the purposes of testing plugins, modifications etc. Would this be granted ?

Regards,
Peter Puglisi
www.ausfreedom.com
Ultimate Freedom is our game.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
I clicked 'Reset' a couple of times just to see what will happen Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [rocco] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Hi Peter,

Thank you for raising those points, we're going to discuss them and will release an official statement by Monday.

Gossamer Threads Development Team
Quote Reply
I have multiple licenses and would like to have the ability to have one install on a dev site on my server (a site that is not available to the pulbic but that is a test environment that is live on the web) withouth having to pay for an addiltional license or having to reset an admin url.

One solution might be for Gossamer to consider creating a server license that allows for a set number of installs (for example 10 with the ability to upgrade by 5 at a time), including test installs. With the new luna template, I am going to need to do extensive template redesign. I think that the move to css is a good thing, and I want to create sites that look good, but I don't want to work on them on live sites. I have several licenses already, most are run on the same server anyway. While the additional license discount is nice, it still doesn't make it feasible to use the software for smaller sites, of which I have several that I *could* use links for. It would be nice also if in considering offering a site license, existing license purchases could be credited to such a license.

I hear the "install locally" people gearing up, but not everyone has the technical ability to install mysql and perl locally. And that doesn't allow for collaberation between people in different locations.

Additionally, in the email that went out telling us about the multiple license discount, additional price breaks for purchasing 3 or more licenses were mentioned, and I have purchased more than that, and did not get additional breaks. Or would have planned differently had I known about an additional discount. I don't mind paying a fair price for software that I use and that has support, but I don't like paying more than I should.
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Hi Everyone,

From my standpoint, the way I normally work is this:

Active site url:

http://www.site.com

Production & Development url:

http://develop.site.com (Password protected, unavailable to the outside world)

A solution that would work for me would be to allow one main install and a few sub-domain "production/development" installs.

Just my 2¢...

ATKOgirl
Quote Reply
Re: [GT Dev Team] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi Peter,

Thank you for raising those points, we're going to discuss them and will release an official statement by Monday.

Hi can I add my support to Peters post as well. I've got one live site and I really don't want to upgrade a live site but would rather put up a development site for version 3 , import my live sites data, test it and develop the templates as required on a development server before making it live replacing the version 2 site.

Also my production server is hosted overseas and although it works fine for serving of web pages its latency makes it a pain to do serious development and testing on where I need to use a shell account to work (web based editors are generally real crap and (still) have very limitted functionality!)

Then as noted being able to test plugins, refine templates etc on the dev site would be much safer than always having to work on a live site which would appear to be the case now with your new update system.

Perhaps 1 install/production path and 1 backup/developer path per licensed copy would be a good compromise? You could still check out that the dev paths were really development systems if you wanted but even if you didn't you'd still have largely achieved what you'd set out to do.

regards doug
Quote Reply
Re: [GT Dev Team] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Let me join the team of those who need LOCAL test installations, before the application is used on the ONLINE server.
License should not affect the LOCAL test installations.
Here is my post where I expressed my worries:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=280147#280147

Suggestion:
Instead of ADMIN path checking, GT should store the ALLOWED site domains, for example www.mysite.com.
www.mysite.com domain should be changed a limited number of times (depending how much licenses is bought for that domain).

This solution could work.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: understanding of linkssql license In reply to
How will this license restriction work with subdomains? I have plans for several subdomains under my main domain name. Each would be a separate database and topic. Would every subdomain require a license??

Thanks,

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: [richonmaui] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Hi Rich,

In this case, there is no difference from the old license terms, which only allows for one installation of Links SQL/GLinks with each license purchased.

If you require one installation of Links SQL/GLinks for each of your sub-domains, you will still require oone license of the program for each installation.

Should you have some more details about your implementation, please send me an email or a private message and we can talk about how to save you money by trying to use one installation of the program to power all the sub-domains. It all depends on your exact requirements though, sometimes it can't be done, especially if you say you are planning different topics.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] understanding of linkssql license In reply to
Hi Jack,

Can you clarify something with the registration information page please:

I have an old Glinks license where I can reset the admin path. I've just done so because I'm moved servers. Also, the expiry date is unlimited.

I have a more recent Glinks license where it saids the admin path is unchangeable. Also, there's an expiry date set to one year from purchase. I think that's one year free of upgrades but not sure now. If I want to move it to another server, I assume I just contact GT to have it reset.

Regards,
Peter Puglisi
www.ausfreedom.com
Ultimate Freedom is our game.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yup, just email GT with your license number and new path, and they'll update it for you :) support <at> gossamer-threads.com.

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Peter,

Yes, Andy is correct, just send me notification that you're moving that license and I can either update it for you or setup the reset and once you go to the admin in the new location, it will update our internal database.

Jack.