Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

multi-lingual site?

Quote Reply
multi-lingual site?
I've read everything available on the site but am still a little unclear about what is required, or if it's even possible, to have a multi-lingual site with GLinks where the user can choose a preferred language. Let's say I wanted to offer a site in English, German, French, Italian and Japanese... and the control panel needs to be in English only. Far as I can tell, the multilanguage plugin would be necessary (which also affects the control panel language?) except it does not currently offer Italian or Japanese. Is that right? If I were only concerned about the front-end, would it be all that difficult to do a Japanese translation myself?

Thanks!
squillo in yokohama
Quote Reply
Re: [squillo] multi-lingual site? In reply to
Hi Squillo,

Sorry the text is unclear, but yes, you can have a site in multiple languages like you listed, English, German, French, Italian and Japanese, while the admin side remains completely in English. The multi-language plugin allows you to run multiple sets of templates each with their own character set and displaying their own set of fields.

We don't offer any translated templates, although you could use our German version as an example if you like.

So yes, if you're concerned only about the front-end, this is the right plugin for you, and it would not be difficult for you to do a Japanese translation yourself, we can install the plugin and get it ready for you to work on translation only.

Here's an example of a site using it for English, German and Spanish pages:
http://www.worldvacationrentals.net/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] multi-lingual site? In reply to
I see, it makes sense now. Thanks also to the gentleman with the Japanese site who PMed me - very helpful.

The vacationrentals site is impressive and I like the way it allows advertisers to upload materials and essentially create mini websites. I wonder how hard that aspect was to set up -- is it done entirely in GLinks? I'm comfortable wading around in code and would like to offer something similar (but in pure CSS if possible).

best,
squillo
Quote Reply
Re: [squillo] multi-lingual site? In reply to
Hi Squillo,

Yes, worldvacationrentals.com was built entirely using Links SQL, version2, the precursor to GLinks version 3, we just went through a name change.

If you have the time and the skills, it is entirely possible to build something similar in pure CSS.

Jack.