Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

links sql vs. in-portal - dynamic vs static

Quote Reply
links sql vs. in-portal - dynamic vs static
I have narrowed down my purchase to either links sql or in-portal (the new version of in-links coming out soon).

1) In-portal provides not only a directory structure, but adds in other modules to create a whole portal that someone can use as a home page. Is links sql able to do something similar?

2) separate from underlying code (which i saw discussed a lot between the 2) what are the main advantages of links sql over in-links (in-portal)?

3) dynamic vs. static - it sounds like static is much better for server load and search engines, so why aren't all sites built static? is it more time consuming, or are there other reasons?

Thanks!
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: [moonslice] links sql vs. in-portal - dynamic vs static In reply to
Hi,

1. Links SQL supports a user database, and there are plugins such as Paul's MyLinks plugin that allows users to store their favorite links. Also, we have released a beta of Gossamer Community, that will allow you to share a common user database with all our products. So you could get Links SQL, and then add Gossamer Forum and have a user signup once, and move through the forum and their links seamlessly.

2. Yes, Links SQL is completely template based. You can change the entire look and feel from just the templates. Have a look through some of our client sites as an example of what you can do.

3. Static is nice on the server, and is easier to make spider friendly pages. Dynamic is nice as you can personalize every page the user sees (i.e. display the information in different formats depending on user preferences). Links SQL supports either depending on what best fits your needs.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.