Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

bulk copy/move links?

Quote Reply
bulk copy/move links?
i have a client who is thinking of purchasing links sql but i have a few questions.

1. i gather that links can reside in more than 1 category or subcategory, is there a way to move and/or copy many links at once? did some searching in the forums and only came up with stuff that was very dated (years ago).

i think i have more questions but i can't think of them now.

oh... when bulk uploading information via a delimited file, do any characters need to be escaped? if so explain.

looking forward to a response.
Quote Reply
Re: [anathema] bulk copy/move links? In reply to
Hi,

Indeed, we do have a nice interface that you can use to move or copy links from one category/subcategory to another in the admin panel. You can access the demo of the admin panel here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...sql2/admin/admin.cgi
username: admin
password: admin

Click on the "Browse" link on the top nav, drill down through the categories and subcategories till you get to a list of links, and then you will see the options show up on the right side.

As for bulk imports, we don't normally have to escape any characters, but send me a sample of your bulk import file via the Private Message system and we'll verify it for you.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] bulk copy/move links? In reply to
i have tried the admin, but there are no categories or links. just an empty 'home' category?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Have you tried clicking on the Arrow icon to expand the folders?

Jack.
Quote Reply
oh yes... i see now.. i was just clicking on the folder. you must think i am silly.

i see that there is a way to move/copy a single link, but the question was in regards to moving/copying links in bulk.

let me explain what we will be using links sql for.

essentially we are going to be adding about 2000 links to the database so i want as much of it to be automated as possible. the links are actually affiliate links from cj.com and other affiliate networks. the fields that would need to be entered for each entry are the following.

1. advertiser name
2. URL that contains the affiliate id and advertiser id.
3. Ranking -1 to 5 stars *
4 category
5 subcategory (maybe other sub cats)
6. keywords
7. title
8 description.

i have been looking at the plugins and have found a few that will be helpful. specifically the bulk category upload (i assume it does sub cats too, but do not remember.) the other one that i am interested in is the one that fetches the title, keywords, and description from the url. however, it only appears to do this 1 at a time. is there anyway, any plugin or modification that could accomplish this in bulk by providing a long list of urls?

i also just noticed that the link format in the demo is:
Code:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/links-sql2/jump.cgi?ID=58131
i do not believe this format will work with affiliate links because all that extra information will be passed on. it needs to be a format like this:

Code:
http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-899307-1169332

any information about how this can work for us is appreciated.
thanks
Quote Reply
Hi,

Bulk moves are not easy to accomplish. We can write a custom script to do exactly what you need to do though. Please contact me via email about this.

As for the URL format, it won't be a problem to use the URL example you gave, although running through jump.cgi has the same effect because the final URL you end up at is what you input into the URL field. Using jump.cgi allows us to count the number of hits, hide the actual URL from spiders, etc. etc.

We should continue this discussion over email, please contact me via the Contact form instead as now we're getting into more involved discussions about your particular requirements.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Hi Jack,

I need to bulk upload links into categories and subcategories. I would like to do this using and excell spreadsheet. Is this possible?
Jason Bishop

Quote Reply
Re: [netnow] bulk copy/move links? In reply to
Hi,

You'll need a custom import script written to import your Excel spreadsheet data into Links, but it is definitely possible. Send me an email with a sample few lines of your Excel file and I'll give you an idea of the complexity and the cost. Also, let me know if you have SSH access to your server.

Jack.