Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Yet Another Links to Links SQL Question...

Quote Reply
Yet Another Links to Links SQL Question...
Hi Everyone:

I just recently started testing Links 2.0. I was hoping to use it to create a product information/review
web site. After perusing the Links/Links SQL forums for a while, I've reached the determination that Links will probably not be able to handle the site, since as I've set it up so far, there are over 5,000 categories/subcategories (no links yet, just cats I anticipate somewhere in the vicinity of 18-20,000 products in the DB in addition to the cats!)

Because I was entering brand names, I needed the ability to include special characters, such as: %, #, &, ', etc; I found the special charcter modification and made the changes as indicated. It worked without a problem.

I ran the directory check and it found no errors. Since I have not input any links as of yet, I am not able to
test the build.

Now, I seem to have special characters in my category names...

My question is:

Will these special characters cause a problem in using the Links 2 to Links SQL conversion utility?

Also, is there a way to do batch uploads into Links SQL from either an Access DB, Excel Spreadsheet, or one of these exported to .txt?

TIA!
ATKOgirl

Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Links to Links SQL Question... In reply to
In Reply To:
Will these special characters cause a problem in using the Links 2 to Links SQL conversion utility?
Do you mean building directories/categories with special characters? No.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Links to Links SQL Question... In reply to
>> Also, is there a way to do batch uploads into Links SQL from either
>> an Access DB, Excel Spreadsheet, or one of these exported to .txt?

right now, no. Alex said he improved the import, maybe this has been added.

The "no" is only relative. You _can_ import anything from text files into Links, the problem is category placement.

I've worked out a system that I mark the highest current ID in the Links database, import my new links, (one category at a time) then insert the ID into the CatLinks table with the LinkID:CategoryID I want to have.

insert into catlinks (CategoryID,LinkID)
Select 123,ID from Links
where Links.ID > 'number_recorded_above'

where 123 is the category you want to place them into.

So it can be done, just not in one shot. It should be fairly easy to have GT add, but there is so much to do, who knows if and when.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum