Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Yahoo Style + Subcategories

Quote Reply
Yahoo Style + Subcategories
What are the steps necessary to adding Sub Categories and displaying some of them on the home page? If my question is not clear, go to www.yahoo.com and see how they list subcategories on the home page.Can you add sub-sub-categories? Can all this be done with the freeware version of links as well?

Is it easy to change the language from English to French? Are all fields editable, such as queries and dates, etc...?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart s2rapoport@yahoo.com

Quote Reply
Re: Yahoo Style + Subcategories In reply to
I know this isn't the preferred way, but I just put the linked subcategories in the description field for the top-tier catagories.

Dunno if I'm explaining it correctly, but say for example you had a Community/Companies directory. In my example, you can just edit the Community category and put <a href="/Community/Companies">Companies</a> in the description field. Take a look at http://search.amiga.org for an example...

Quote Reply
Thanks.
1)Is there a way to do add the sub categories automatically?
2)Anyone know about the language customization?
Regards,
Stuart

Quote Reply
This has been attacked by a few people over the past year for both 2.0 and SQL versions. There are some "logistical" problems, in that not all categories are the same length, and how long do you make the cut?

For the most part, most people have just inserted the linked categories into the category description for the main page, and I'll be that's how most of the big-guys do it also. Why? It's the only way you can control the layout, and front page layout and design is very important.

On-sub pages, it might not be as important, but also on sub-pages, the linked categories are not as important.

Once the new version comes out with the new category logic, I'm sure there will be some solutions to various problems. One I'd like to see is the category listing down the side, with the expanded listing for the category/subcategory you are in at the moment. Requires generating the category list as an "include", but would provide really good lateral and up navigation for most sites.

Quote Reply
You wrote:

"Once the new version comes out with the new category logic, I'm sure there will be some solutions to various problems."

I'd like to know more about the category logic feature. Would this mean Links SQL would 'know' where a category belongs, or at what level it is?

On a slightly different note, we're looking at linking a thesaurus (including broader terms, narrower terms, related terms, and "used for") into our pages so that if the user returns less than, say 10 hits (results), they'd get some suggestions as to where else to look, or what alternate terms to search for. Has anyone implemented something like this in Links SQL?

We're using Links2 now, but I'm hoping to get the OK to move up to Links SQL.

Thanks,

T. A. Edge

T.A. Edge, PIC Librarian
Visit the PIC Hamilton site at www.pichamilton.net
Quote Reply
I think that the new logic will allow for a category to know it's a subcategory of another, and to be able to find all subcategories of a category.

Also, the advertising/banner system should allow keyword targeting in areas so that you can figure out where you are.

Once that sort of 'hook' is there, it can be expanded on and developed so that it will be compatible with future versions. this could have been built into this release, but there would have been no way to make sure it would be compatible with the next (upcoming) release since each implementation would have been ad hoc.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/