Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Total novice to SQL. Some Qs

Quote Reply
Total novice to SQL. Some Qs
I've been using Links 2.0 for some time now and am considering upgrading to LSQL. A couple of simple questions to start with:

1. Can I run LSQL along side Links 2.0 whilst I'm setting it up? I want as little downtime as possible.

2. .html files are mentioned alot here. Can file extensions be created as .shtml instead?

Please bear with me, I'll try to get the hang of this ASAP. Smile

P.S. Thanks Andy for the encouraging nudge.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Total novice to SQL. Some Qs In reply to
I havne't used Links2, however I do not think it should be a problem for you to use it till you setup Glinks. In addition, if I am not wrong, GLinks has a feature that allows you to perform upgrade from Links version - as once you are done with the templates as desired, you should be able to do the transfer in less than few minutes.

.html & .shtml
In Glinks admin section, it will ask you what extension do you want for the pages. So you can set it to anything you desire like .html, .shtml, .php, .asp.. etc anything you like. (but some pages will still be .cgi, as search, add, login.. etc)

Hope this helps.

P.S. Getting hang of Glinks is gonna be easier than you think and Glinks is worth every penny of its cost.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Total novice to SQL. Some Qs In reply to
Also running Links2 and Glinks in parallel is also possible, however you need to install them into different directories.

Links2 upgrade is possible.

The best choice would be to:

1. install Glinks in a different directory
  2. import Links2 database into Glinks
  3. do every template and setup changes you need to have the similar lookout like your Links2 service
  4. test it extensively
  5. rename old Links2 service away, rename the new Glinks service into original place of Links2

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...