Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Server and Features Questions

Quote Reply
Server and Features Questions
Hello All,
A client wants to run a gift store using Amazon (or similar companies) to fulfill purchases as an affiliate. Trying out the Links 2 demo but wonder what the limits are for the amount of links - 1,500? So it's looking like Links SQL is the better option. I have several questions!

Regarding this: Links SQL will work under mod_perl for the best performance. However, this usually requires a dedicated server, and some co-operation from your hosting company.
If running Links SQL on a shared server what are the major problems or performance issues?
Is it best to display dynamic pages or static when on a shared server? Would detail pages not be a good idea on a shared server?

Regarding this feature: Search Results in XML - Display your search results in XML, this allows you to share your content between sites in a standard format I'd like to know more about this. If client has different websites that have much the same info but a different theme (i.e., site #1 Bed N Bath items, site #2 Linens N Stuff items) then can the info be shared across the sites? Wouldn't that require another purchase of the program? Or I guess I'm confused because rereading that - it's a search results feature. Still confused about it though.

This site has a good idea - http://www.theukhighstreet.com/...hops.cgi?do=my_users
I assume this was done using a newer version of Links SQL than what I'm familiar with. If so, is there a way to simplify something like this to where the visitor doesn't need to log in and has the option to add a link to a "my favorites link list" that lasts for the current session only? Although I like the idea of a login, I just don't think it will go over well in this particular case. Perhaps give the visitor a choice of either a temporary list of favorite links or a login? Sorry if I'm rambling here... so many ideas...so little time!

Would someone post a link to explain the Payment-Links-SQL system? Just wondering if this is a newer feature of Links SQL or if I've misunderstood?

Thanks in advance!
Nadine
Quote Reply
Re: [Westiegirl] Server and Features Questions In reply to
Hi Nadine,

We've seen Links 2.0 handle between 1500 and 2500 links at its maximum, so if you're planning on around that number or more, then Links SQL would be the better option.

Running Links SQL on a shared server would normally mean that building static pages would be better as it eases the server load and would allow for optimum speed. Detailed pages are OK if they are static, no extra load really.

Re-branding the data for different sites can be done using the multiple templates of Links SQL and maybe with some mod_rewrite rules to have different sites display the same data using different templates, no extra licenses of Links SQL required. Contact me directly for more details though.

It is difficult to have a good "Favourites List" without a login, and maybe a little pointless, but if you want that feature, we can build it for you. We have a Bookmark plugin that allows registered users to add links to their Favourites and retrieve them upon their return.

I'll look at the Payment System post now.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Many thanks to Jack for his reply. I appreciate it.

To anyone else who can help.... Regarding this site:
http://www.theukhighstreet.com/...hops.cgi?do=my_users

How does one implement this in Links SQL? Is it a newer feature of Links SQL or an add-on/mod of some sort?

Thanks again,

Nadine
Quote Reply
Hi,

This isn't built into Links SQL but is a third party plugin. Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Server and Features Questions In reply to
Yes, that helps! Thanks, Alex!

Nadine
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just to say - this was developed using a plugin which no longer exists. But I think that Pugdog has developed something similar.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Server and Features Questions In reply to
Not sure if pugdog does have one :/ (at least, not that he's told me about Tongue).

Wouldn't be that hard to write though. I'll add it onto my TODO list, but no guarantees =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Server and Features Questions In reply to
Hi Andy,

This is the plugin I was thinking of:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=265509#265509

Laura.