Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

checklist to get linkssql up and running

Quote Reply
checklist to get linkssql up and running
Hello all,

Well i am going to order my own dedicated server (co-located) and hope to set it up at the end of the week. I have a little experiences in setting up a server, but when i say little i really mean little!

I want to make a checklist what to install, with what version to get the server and linkssql up and running.

Let's say we start with a clean drive Smile what to do with:

- install redhat linux, i will let the isp install it, pffuhhh save some time. Which version shall i use from Redhat linux, version 6.2 ?

The rest i have to do by myself:
- A current version of Perl 5 (version 5.004 or better) this is installed when setting up redhat right?

- Perl database modules: DBI and the appropriate DBD module loaded, which version to use and is it easy to install?

- Database Server. Mysql 3.21+, my isp has version 3.12 :) i believe, which version to install and is it easy to install it by myself ? Or shall i let the isp setup mysql (but maybe they will only install version 3.12) ?

- Optional: Links SQL will work under mod_perl for the best performance.
Which version to install and is it easy to install ? Do you recommend it to install or just use perl ?

- The biggest problem i am 'afreed' off it setting up domains/pop3/ftp and so on. Well maybe
i will install webmin http://www.webmin.com/webmin/ for that job, but is it easy to install ?

Do you have any other tips for a 'newbie': like how to setup directory structure/path of the server ?

I will order about 2394324 :) books about perl, mysql and linux redhat.
You know good book titles or site(s) about perl, mysql and linux redhat ?

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: checklist to get linkssql up and running In reply to
It seems to me that while your ultimate goal is getting a server set-up to execute scripts, like Links SQL, you might have better luck researching the Web about dedicated servers and http://www.linux.com for information about setting up RedHat.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply AnthroRules.

But i don't get your point sorry. Well maybe it's because i work about 20 hours a day Smile.

What do you mean with :
In Reply To:
It seems to me that while your ultimate goal is getting a server set-up to execute scripts, like Links SQL, you might have better luck researching the Web about dedicated servers and http://www.linux.com for information about setting up RedHat. ?
Allready thanks.

.... Don't work harder, but smarter .... Startpoint...

Quote Reply
What I mean is that this forum is for Links SQL NOT for discussing dedicated server solutions per se. So, you should post your questions in more relative and appropriate forums. That is my point!

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
AnthroRules your have a good point.

Only fact is that in this forum you all use the linkssql program and because i want only get that
running for now i though to ask it here? Because here the most of you have set this program sqllinks up and some on a dedicated/own server like i want. If i use other forums the most will not know about sqllinks.

So maybe you can give some advise about it ?