Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Upgrade from Links V1.1

Quote Reply
Upgrade from Links V1.1
Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade from Links V1.1 to Links SQL in a couple of weeks, and just wanted to ask a few questions beforehand so I can plan a few things and get an idea of what to expect.

I appreciate these may have been asked before, but its probably the biggest upgrade I've done and I just want to get a feel for how it'll all work:

1) I can currently FTP a copy of all the links, categories, url's and links awaiting validation to my PC and edit them off-line, is there a method for doing this with Links SQL?

2) I have added some 'subs' to some of the CGI scripts to allow me to serve ads on CGI generated pages, can this still be done or is there a different method?

3) I use SSI to call ads on static pages (through editing site_html.pl) can these calls be added to the templates?

4) I have around 4000 links and 3000 waiting to be validated and my webspace account has 120MB. I just wondered whether I'd need to get some more webspace or is this a silly question :) ?

I'll probably think of a few more things over the next couple of weeks, and am really looking forward to the extra power Links SQL is going to bring :)

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade from Links V1.1 In reply to
1) All records are in the SQL database. It would be more complicated to allow validation off-line. You'd have to dump the database and re-import it. It would be much better to do it on-line.

2) There will be a rudimentary banner program in the next release. You can probably modify that to do what you are doing now.

3) Static pages can use SSI.

4) The Links, data, etc are stored in the MySQL database. Most ISP's put the MySQL data on a different machine than your home page. Most seem not to include the database in your home page stats either. If you have to have MySQL in your own workspace, I would suggest AT LEAST 500 megs for the size of the database you are looking at to allow you to make back ups, and have room to grow and work. The actual size would depend on how detailed your links and such. But, the MySQL database is roughly 10x larger than a flat-file databse, depending on the #of indexes, and how large your links are (all searchable fields are indexed, and add to the size of the database.) In short, ask your ISP if your MySQL database size is limited, or how you are charged for it.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
I am curious to know the size of your database. I just tried a search and it was quick. I see no problems with your current flat file db.

Will
Webmaster
FishHoo! Search Index for Fishermen
http://www.fishhoo.com/
Quote Reply
I've got around 1000 categories and 4000 links.

I have noticed a gradual slowing down at both the search and admin ends of my current Links install and wanted to upgrade now to make sure I'm covered for the next thousands+ sites that I add and to increase the possibilities for expanding the categories. (Currently, the more categories I add, the longer it takes to download the cat-list when I review sites awaiting validation.)

I also want to take advantage of the MySQL backend and mod_perl offered by my new ISP. My old ISP's support was terrible and they charged 'extra' for anything other than standard webspace (they also put a lot of limitations on my account!)

I'm now looking at SQL Ad Serving/Management scripts as I want to make the most of mod_perl and MySQL to make Qango as fast as possible. I can't compete with the 'big boys' in terms of physical server resources or financial capital so I want to get the best out of my virtual account in the hope of earning enough revenue to eventually get a dedicated server of my own (oh what a lovely dream :)

The resource I have the most of at present, like most people here I assume, is - time - so I've just got to make the most of it until I've made my millions ... well enough so that Qango pays for itself would be a start eh! :)))

All the best
Shaun