Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links SQL as Search

Quote Reply
Links SQL as Search
Hi all,

What would you think of running Links SQL as a search engine type of usage. DBMAN SQL looks good but Links SQL with its many plugins look even better. I could set the system so it doesn't build pages but only allows search of the database. As Links SQL is versatile in its use but also mainly category based, do you think I could use it this way or would major problem arise?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL as Search In reply to
Hi,

No, I don't forsee any problems. You could just edit the search_results.html and don't display the category the link is in. The search in Links SQL is just as powerful as DBMan SQL (same code), you can do all the same less then, greater then type searches.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
That is great news!

What about the server resources used during a search, although I think most people would use the search function anyway categories or not. A small drain during the execution and would hits still be recorded and displayed?

Quote Reply
Hi,

Server resources are comparable, you can always use SpeedyCGI if it becomes an issue. Hits are still recorded (as the link would still pass through jump.cgi). If you didn't want this, you would simply edit the link.html template and make it go straight to the URL.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.