Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Templates
While in admin panel demo I did not see any options for templates. Did I over look this? Also are their any reputable template designers around for this script, if so about price ranges do they charge? Are there any selection of paid templates to purchase?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [spin] Templates In reply to
Hi,

When you say "I did not see any options for templates" do you mean in Setup or the Build > User Templates bit?

Quote:
Also are their any reputable template designers around for this script, if so about price ranges do they charge?

Ya, there are a few. Gossamer do template work - Myself, and a couple of others on the forum (not sure of any specifics I'm afraid - I just know there are a couple more designers out there Blush). Regarding prices, it really depends on what you want. If you want a total re-design, you could be talking $300-400+ - but for just "tweaks" and such (to make it have your colors, logo etc), you are talking probably not even $150.

Quote:
Are there any selection of paid templates to purchase?

Not as far as I know, sorry.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Templates In reply to
By chance you have a portfolio to see ya work please?Wink
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'll send you a PM in a minute with some links :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Looks good, I need to read here a bit more on the plug ins and complexity of installing this script and plug ins. I want to establish a Business Directory with all the bells and whistles. I currently have 2 general directories with other scripts.

1. Could I set up the sub cats index like such?: http://botw.org/top/Business/ Upper cats above with lower cats below.

2. Can I set up with cat suggestions like this on right side? http://www.business.com/.../financial_services/
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
Looks good, I need to read here a bit more on the plug ins and complexity of installing this script and plug ins. I want to establish a Business Directory with all the bells and whistles. I currently have 2 general directories with other scripts.

Plugins are very easy to install and setup :) Some of them are as simple as a few clicks - while others require a little bit of template customization.

Quote:
1. Could I set up the sub cats index like such?: http://botw.org/top/Business/ Upper cats above with lower cats below.

I don't see why not. It would just require a new field for the category - say "ShowInTop", and then in the templates, edit the loop a bit (to show the categories), so that it puts categories in the normal spot if ShowInTop=> 0, or if its ShowInTop => 1, then it will show it in the top section of categories.

Quote:
2. Can I set up with cat suggestions like this on right side? http://www.business.com/.../financial_services/

Sure. There is a thing called "Related Cats", which you could use to do that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy for answering all my questions. I believe there is one more. What what be the cost migrate a phpld database or Indexu?
Quote Reply
Hi,

I guess around the $100-$150 mark. I can't say I've ever dealt with it before, but being MySQL that helps. If you could show me the database structure (i.e give me access to view the database), I'd be happy to give you a more accurate quote.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thank you Andy, I m about to leave town for a bit. Was just curious about the cost. I guess I can start over again!
Quote Reply
I do have another question please. Couldn't help notice in your sig dmoz database. I'm sometimes a bit slow to figure things out, so please bear with me here. Why would anyone host the database of dmoz? I mean I can't figure out how you can gain a profit from this other than adsense maybe. What am I missing here?
Quote Reply
Hi,

A "DMOZ Import" is just where we import content from DMOZ (via their RDF file). This then gives sites a starting base for their own site :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ok thanks, was curious how one would make money with a directory full of links with little customer base to apply as many are already in the base
Quote Reply
Andy I am just about sold here for sure. Have another question please. Been reading how important content is to Google. Being this will be a directory, how does one incorperate content to the directory?
Quote Reply
Hi,

The best "content" I've found, is:

1) Custom content - i.e specially picked directories - starting off with little content isn't a major screw up - as long as it gets built up over time. No point in putting loads of rubbish in, cos that will just scare people off =)
2) Have a blog. You can give updates on the sites running, to keep visitors in the know.
3) Maybe even a few extra fields / setting up Google Maps on the site (I've done this a couple of times, as long as you have a full address, on longitude/latitude details). It adds a really cool feature for detailed pages :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk