Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Some questions

Quote Reply
Some questions
Hi there. I am new here and have a few questions about LinksSQL.

I have a customer that he wants a " directory like " web site. It will have propably the AdCycle plugin. He wants the user to pay online by credit card before can be registered. Can be that intigrated into the script? The normal user will have access for the basic information on the site ( not the detailed pages ). The registered user will have access for all the information including the detailed pages. The detailed pages will have info like: images, e-mails, phones, adresses, detailed decriptions and maybe something more. Can all these be intigrated into the script too?

My customer excpects to have over 35.000 views/hits per month. The database ( MySQL ) will have over 35.000 links. I saw somewhere here in the forums that LinksSQL can handle over 100.000 links. Is it true?Also he wants to send e-mails ( for news, advertising ) to all of his links/customers very often. He wants the web site - server to be synchronizent with another server, if the main server goes down ( i think that it is called " Replication managment " ).

So, i want to ask you know about your hosting plans. Can you suggest me one of these? I think one of the dedicated server plans will be the best solution ( but with the lowest price ). Smile

Thanks

Last edited by:

spec: Sep 17, 2002, 3:27 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [spec] Some questions In reply to
First question, yes this is definatly possible. I did it on another job...

Is your customer going to be on a dedicated server? I would recommend getting one if he has that many links, and also wants to send out a newsletter often. A shared account could probably handle it, but you may find your host gets a little annoyed Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I'll respond to the hosting questions here:

Quote:
My customer excpects to have over 35.000 views/hits per month. The database ( MySQL ) will have over 35.000 links. I saw somewhere here in the forums that LinksSQL can handle over 100.000 links. Is it true?Also he wants to send e-mails ( for news, advertising ) to all of his links/customers very often. He wants the web site - server to be synchronizent with another server, if the main server goes down ( i think that it is called " Replication managment " ).

Links SQL can handle 35,000 links no problem. We've got a dmoz site (3.2 million links) on one of our Plan C servers and everything runs very quickly. For that size directory, we'd recommend a Plan B server which is a Dual 1.2 Ghz processors, 1024 Megs of ram, and 40 gigs of disk space. Cost is $300 setup, and $450 a month. The servers are fully managed, we are responsible for the hardware, the o/s, the services on it (apache, mail, ftp, etc).

For the volume of traffic you are talking about, load balancing isn't required, so the only point of server replication would be to minimize downtime in case of hardware failure. We do keep daily mirrors of your hard drives, so if anything goes wrong, we can put your backup hard drive in a new machine and have you up and running in under 5 minutes. We also have on site backups of all parts so we can swap out hardware really quickly. This is one of the advantadges of managed harware versus colocation.

If your customer really needs the instant fallover, we can setup a load balanced scenerio where all traffic goes to one machine, if that machine fails, then it instantly falls over to the second machine. This involves a 3 server setup at minimum so is quite a bit more. If you are interested in it, let me know.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Some questions In reply to
In Reply To:
If your customer really needs the instant fallover, we can setup a load balanced scenerio where all traffic goes to one machine, if that machine fails, then it instantly falls over to the second machine. This involves a 3 server setup at minimum so is quite a bit more. If you are interested in it, let me know.

Cheers,

Alex
I would like to know about this 3 server setup ASAP. Thanks for all the answers Smile
Quote Reply
Hi again. I have some more questions. First off all my customer will install ppc engine on the links directory.

He wants to know if he ( the admin ) can set some links like COOL LINKS ( not the default cool links ) and if he can use the ppc engine on them and give to them a priority on display results.

For example:

1st link: http://mysite.com (paid $0.50)

2nd link: http://yoursite.com (paid $0.70)

3d link: http://hissite.com (paid $0.60)

So it will go like that ( all will be COOL LINKS ):

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Hi,

The easiest thing to do is for the admin to create a ppc account and just place bids on the links he wants to show up top. Since he is the admin, he can credit the account as much as money as it needs to keep the links in top place.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Some questions In reply to
Ok. What about the Cool Links ? Can he set a link to be Cool also? As i know the program's "cool links" is the same as the "Top Rated". My customer want to set a link by himself to be a Cool Link.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, your customer can set a link to Cool if he wishes, but I would recommend using a new field like something called Priority for this function that you're talking about instead of using the Cool setting.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Some questions In reply to
Similar question - I've just started checking out the product but it looks great - I want to be able to show the first X listings in a category on the home page (or top page of a section) and then use a more... link to access the balance of the listings. I could 'force' my top listings with a fake PPC structure as you suggested - any problem setting up templates (PHP probably) to call only the first X listings from any section or subsection?
Quote Reply
Re: [dpam] Some questions In reply to
May have misunderstood you, but GT/my PPC plugins won't work in the PHP frontend Tongue

PHP is probably easier for calling the first X listings....as it is literally just PHP code. Not sure quite how difficcult it would be, as I've never had to personally do it...but from my experience with the PHP frontend, its definatly a possibility Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [dpam] Some questions In reply to
Hi,

We would definitely need to do some custom work for you to be able to call up certain listings on the home page, in either set of templates. If you're interested in this, please send me a private email to jack@gossamer-threads.com and I will be able to work through it with you in more detail.

Jack.