Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Can I import data from my INDEXU site?

Quote Reply
Can I import data from my INDEXU site?
I currently have a links directory driven by INDEXU. Can I import that same database into LinksSQL? Can I use my same templates or use them with minimal reworking?

I guess I'm wondering how much work will be involved in converting over to LinksSQL. Any chance there is a tutorial on something like this??

My existing site is http://www.HawaiianRainbow.com/hawaii/

Thanks,

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: [richonmaui] Can I import data from my INDEXU site? In reply to
Hi,

There isn't a direct import, but Links SQL can import from text files pretty easily, so if you can get your data into a tab delimited file, it shouldn't be too hard. The templates are completely different though, so you will need to create new templates. It's a pretty painless process if you are comfortable with html.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Can I import data from my INDEXU site? In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

There isn't a direct import, but Links SQL can import from text files pretty easily, so if you can get your data into a tab delimited file, it shouldn't be too hard. The templates are completely different though, so you will need to create new templates. It's a pretty painless process if you are comfortable with html.

Cheers,

Alex
I guess I'm wondering if the fields in my specific INDEXU database will match up with LinksSQL. Anyone there with direct expeirience with INDEXU?

Also, can I do my template editing in Dreamweaver and upload it via ftp as usual?

Thanks,

Rich
Quote Reply
Hi,

I don't have any experience with indexu, but if you go to the Links SQL admin demo:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...sql2/admin/admin.cgi
User: admin
Pass: admin

and click on Database, then select Links and then Properties you can see the field names in the Links table. If you click on Category and properties, you can see those column names.

As for templates, we generally don't recommend a wysiwyg editor as it can mess up template tags (which look just like microsoft asp tags), but some editors do preserve them ok.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Rich,

Quote:
I guess I'm wondering if the fields in my specific INDEXU database will match up with LinksSQL. Anyone there with direct expeirience with INDEXU?

If you are importing database via textfile, I do not think it would be much tough, as all what you need to do is just change the field name (always make sure you have a backup first). Also, if you wish, you can setup link and user properties using same (should be very easy with Links SQL admin features) and it might be more familer for you then.

Quote:
Also, can I do my template editing in Dreamweaver and upload it via ftp as usual?

That is what I do :) but I use FrontPage. Based on my experience I can tell you setting up templates is very much easy and yeah you can upload it via FTP, that is normal.

Also, let me add one thing Alex didn't mentioned in his modesty.

Links SQL is the best Link Directory tool in the market today.

I myself have either tried or testing almost all options (including IndexU) and would any day time recommend Links SQL over others.

Hope this helps.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Depending on the size of your IndexU database, you may be able to use my Data_Import plugin;

http://www.ultranerds.com/...gi?Title=Data_Import

Basically, if you can get it into a flatfile format (tab, comma or | delimited), then all you do is line up the fields in the plugin's GUI, and then it should give you a running commentry on how its going.

This plugin is used by quite a few people ... and seems to be able to handle quite a few links at a time (I've imported 250,000 posters from a flatfile datafeed (art.com) with it... and that seems to work great :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!