Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Steps to build a profitable directory

Quote Reply
Steps to build a profitable directory
I would like to use Links SQL to build a directory, what are the basic "1-2-3...." steps to follow? eg.

1. buy Links SQL (ok - obvious)
2. buy dedicated server hosting (little less obvious - but can see that using Gossamer hosting as option)
3. set up Links SQL (now need some advice - tips)
4......find / add links (and more advice...)
5. ......how to make the directory pay, "paid for inclusion" ? PPC?
6. ........any help advice appreciated
7. ................can a Links SQL directory compeet with the "big guns"?
Colin Thompson

Last edited by:

colintho: Dec 1, 2002, 9:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
1) Yup ;)

2) Gossamer Host is good, or if you can do managed hosting yourself, you may wanna try http://www.rackshack.net

3) Its pretty simple....upload the files, chmod install.cgi to 755, run it via the browser, enter the paths etc (most of it should be completed for you), and then submit the form. It will build/extract all the files for you... Then setup a MySQL database, and when you first goto your admin center, it will ask you to setup your MySQL database options.

4) You need to really dedicate to a certain area. For example, Ivan (yogi) has dedicated to Yoga sites....and Herculinks.com has dedicated to an Adult directory. Its completely up to you what you use it for Tongue

5) PPC is an option...or if your site gets popular enough, possibly 'pay for listing', like a lot of the larger search engines are doing now.

6) Best advice and help is avaiable from the Development/Discussion forums for LSQL Smile

7) Well, why not? At the end of the day, its pretty much as powerful as the 'big guns', but they just get more traffic, and use custom software. If you get enough visitors, and people using it, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't compete with them Wink

Hope that helps :-)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
hi Andy,

I had a look at http://www.rackshack.net - do you know them well? Looks almost too good to be true - I use skynetweb and pay almost 6 times more for less specs?

klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
Go with GossamerHost (gossamerhost.com)

They can give you the best setup for your links sql directory and support is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Yeah, RackShack have been good to me since I've been with them (about 3-4 months).....and yeah, it does sound too good to be true....thats why I held off getting a server with them for a good year Tongue You need to have a little knowledge about servers to do basic maintainance, but a lot of it can be worked out from their online chat/support forum.

If you have the money though, I would go with GossamerHost, as they know the best setup for your Links SQL install, and how to get the most out of it.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
Rackshack are good yet your server is offline? Tongue

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 5, 2002, 2:45 AM
Quote Reply
I can also recommend GossamerHost. They know how to set up mod_perl properly, and you'll have a really fast website!

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
Thats cos I didn't have many extra security measures installed, which opened up the server for hack attacks. It was only right for RackShack to 'unplug' my server, because until the matter is resolved, my server could be used to send more hack attacks Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Klaus,

Quote:
I had a look at http://www.rackshack.net - do you know them well? Looks almost too good to be true - I use skynetweb and pay almost 6 times more for less specs?

An important thing to consider is getting managed hosting. With our servers we are responsible for not only the hardware on your site, but the software too. With the number of security threats coming out these days, it's important to keep your server patched and upgraded. People running linux/unix like to think it's only a microsoft problem, but in the last six months there have been major holes in Apache, SSL (affecting mod_ssl and SSH), FTP, DNS, and many more programs that are probably running on your server.

If you are interested in more information, send me an email (alex@gossamer-threads.com).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Be careful of what people claim they give, and what you really get. Unlimited bandwidth, for example, is only good if the hosting company *really* has unlimited bandwidth, and the CPU server resources allocated to you. In reality most of them simple load a machine and pipe, and don't charge you for usage, but you are competing for those resources with lots of other people. Not illegal, but not above-board either. Basically, it's "unlimited" only to the point of if it's available, you can use it without charge -- but there is no guarantee it will be available.

With Gossamer hosting, you get some other advantages that are not immediately obvious. One is, they are intimately familiar with their own software, and can tweak your servers and system to run the software most efficiently.

I've been hosting with them for almost a year now, and have not had any problems that have not been resolved quickly, and my needs are "different" than most of their other hosting customers. I like doing things my way (I migrated from Solaris Unix, they use Linux), and they have been very accomodating with these quirks.

They also upgrade their systems, and underlying networks to work with their upgrades.

So, if you are looking at primarily running GT programs, and you need a good host, check out GH.

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is no free lunch.

If you have to have hosting services anyway, and you don't have strong reasons to go elsewhere, by supporting GT, you help them at the same time they help you with their advanced knowledge of their programs.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
pugdog,

Thank for the advise - and yes I am convinced - I have already got a dedicated server with GT now - thanks!

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
My partner and I are trying to have a profitable directory running on LSQL. So here are my thoughts -

1. buy Links SQL - definitely! I am so happy we spent the bucks and got a stable and flexible system to work with! We have our very unique look now as we run a directory that lists businesses and services as well as websites so we needed more than just links (some of them don't even have websites). We customized LSQL so our listings show lots more info than just links and they don't show things like ratings or reviews (see here www.meowhoo.com).

2. buy dedicated server hosting - well we are pressed for money, so we went with shared hosting and so far so good. We run a directory of more than 1700 listings right now and we run the static mod. With our current traffic we are happy with our shared server.

3. set up Links SQL - setting it to work is real easy, especially as it's being installed for you :) customizing it is the more difficult part but it's a lot of fun (for me at least). The templates and the admin interface make it real easy to change the database structure and the look of the directory. I don't know any perl so when I did have to make some more major changes I came to the forums for help (still do - thanks pugdog!).

4. find / add links - well, we wanted businesses and services that are cat related, so we went hunting for them quite actively. First we located online businesses we were after and emailed them and asked them to come and add their listing. Some did and most didn't. So we changed strategy and now we are adding their listings and then notifying them and if they want out then we take them out (they don't - they thank us m ost of the time :D). Those with websites (most of them) see the traffic we are sending them and they're very happy to be listed with us.

5. how to make the directory pay - we give each business one free basic listing. We ask them to pay if they want to upgrade their listing (adding a border, color and their logo), have it bumped up to the top of the category and if they want a detailed page (we offer a detailed page with lots of text and pictures - basically a mini-website). LSQL makes upgrading listings and detailes pages a breeze - lots of fun to design and then just a small modification in the DB to get it online :D Currently we're working on adding more features to the detailes pages - we want to offer them a selection of template designs, music, counters and more. We charge $70 for a detailed page so we want to make it attractive.

We also work on other content - we set up the Meowhoo Club where we offer members special deals on cat products, cat games and freebies. This is a very attractive ad space for merchants. We are still small so we don't charge them much to be included in the club offers - they are happy to provide discounts and the prizes for the contests and games. The club is basically a monthly newsletter that has all the info & coupons.

6. any help advice appreciated - I think you need to focus your directory in your area of expertise. Me and my partner are first of all cat people (and work in the field - I'm a cat behaviorist and she does cat rescue). You must be familiar with the categories and listings to make decisions. Setting the directory structure is not as simple as you might think - you need to balance the categories well to get them to be most profitable (we're still making adjustments).

Another thing is merchants will pay if you send them traffic. Targeted traffic - potential customers. So you need to work hard on getting that targeted traffic to your site. Then let them know that you did. We work hard on site promotion and it's not easy.

Another point - you need to work hard at selling them the product. My partner is out sales department and she works hard at convincing people to pay us. Merchants are in no rush to spend money with the way the market is today. Selling is an art and having or being a good salesperson is a major plus. We take great care in handling our clients and having a professional look.

7. .can a Links SQL directory compeet with the "big guns"? - well, in our field I think we are the big guns right now :D there was not much competition to speak of - no other big and professional cat related directory. There are pet related ones but we believe there is a need for a cat specific site. Our competition is in the printed media - but we offer a distinct product and play hard on our online advantages when we introduce the product to prospective clients.

More thoughts -

Right now we are breaking even - not really profitable. We spend money on promoting the site and we spent money of software (LSQL and some Java software for our cat related games). We work hard and we're not getting paid for our time yet. We belive it will take us a lot of hard work to get established and to get plenty of traffic. We are working hard on getting the press to know about the site and we hope to be seeing some results in the next couple of months. With traffic going up we want to make Meowhoo.com a brand name and we believe that when it is - then we'll see some nice profitst. It's no "get rich quick" thing. It is lots of hard work and it's also lots of fun.

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
There are no quick and easy things to do. But there are a lot of things not to do :)

Not all apply to all sites, and some apply more to adult-type sites.

Avoid MLM's.
Avoid anything that seems too good to be true.
Avoid pop ups at all costs (you won't make as much from them as you'll lose).
Avoid over bannering the site. Keep banners small, targeted, and in-line.
Try to get stable pre-pay display advertisers -- sell your site like a magazine.
Targeted banners work on search pages. Charge more for these by view AND by click.
Avoid "cheesy" designs, "old style" scroll down pages, and cluttered looks.
Provide top mounted navigation bars and "main topic" access.
Avoid drop down, java, popup menus, flash intro screens or menus, etc. (not everyone can use a mouse well)
Remember, *MOST* people still dial up, and have 38k or less access!!!
Avoid graphics-intensive pages (the above 2 lines apply as well).
Avoid browser-dependent coding, stick with basic HTML if at all possible.
Don't get TOO personal on the site. It's a business, keep it as such.
Don't get involved in squabbles. Take a neutral (or business) stance, and end them.
Don't allow spam type listings. More links is *NOT* better than GOOD links.

Some Do's:

Have a forum, and post "information" there regularly. Why a "forum" ? It allows people to respond and get involved. "Columns" are ok, but they sort of block interaction. If you attach a response to a column, you will usually get people who disagree, and want to start problems. If you use the forum concept, you invite people to share their ideas and experiences, rather than encourage disagreements.

Keep the site looking fresh. Use a dynamic home page, even if you run the rest of the site in mostly static mode. People *expect* personalized content, access to their own information, etc. Add in features that make sense for your type of directory -- don't try to add in a lot of unrelated features. It confuses people.

Don't hide who you are (don't give out personal information but do keep a good CONTACT page). I *HATE* sites that have no contact information, hide their information, make you go through all sorts of forms or make you fill out all sorts of unrelated information. A simple email contact is best. Provide several addresses, even if they all end up at the same mail box. Sales, Info, Webmaster, Feedback, etc. Makes people feel they have some access to you, and that you are not trying to avoid them. This is our biggest issue at the moment, our mail was trashed in the crashes, and we have not gotten it all straightened out even a year later.

If you DO have a problem report, or tracking system, ONLY make (or encourage) people to use it if their problem fits that formatted structure. Let everyone else straight email you. If you have a "FORUM" you encourage people to use the community for support, and it cuts the emaill as well.

Feature links and information that most people want. Watch your search log (you do have one??) and keep an eye on what is popular. If search terms are not turning up "hits" go find that information!! Provide suggested search terms that bring up the BEST hits. I had some advanced search logging, keyword display, top-10 etc codes which I'll be re-releasing as a Widgets kit shortly. They *really* do help, and I need to get them redeployed on my own sites <G>.

There are plenty more, but I'll end here <G>

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Remember, *MOST* people still dial up, and have 38k or less access!!!

I don't agree with that. *MOST* people do not use 38k or less at all.

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 29, 2002, 7:35 AM
Quote Reply
Paul,

You can disagree, but it's true.

If you think of 56k modems, the average connect is about 38k.

Most of the world is lucky to get that.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
BTW:

If you want to argue demographics, then *MOST* downloaders of MP3's, MPEGS, or other multimedia content probably do not use 38k or less.

But I would stand on the fact that most Cat Lovers have a 38k or less connection.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Quote:
If you think of 56k modems, the average connect is about 38k.

Using a 56k modem and connectiong at 38k is different to using a 38k modem which is what it seemed like you were saying.

I've never personally seen a 38k modem.

I think a large majority of 56k modem users use V90 now, if they don't, they should.

Quote:
But I would stand on the fact that most Cat Lovers have a 38k or less connection.

Not quite sure what cat lovers has to do with modem speeds but hey, I'm a cat lover and use 600kbps Tongue
Quote Reply
As long as you love cats that all that matters Cool

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
Ah now I see why he mentioned cat lovers :)
Quote Reply
Re: Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
hello,

heres another question i already posted on another forum:

lets say you have a directory and one commercial entry in the directory would cost 4.99/month, would you use 2checkout.com for recurring billing? or is this too complicated and does it look unprofessional to the advertiser and keeps him away from listing with my site? what if you reach 1000+ listings would you still use 2checkout or what can you suggest? a real merchant account? would you as the advertiser use 2checkout.com to pay?
how would you manage pay per month?

got some better ideas,experiences?
thanks

giemie
Quote Reply
Re: [giemie] Steps to build a profitable directory In reply to
>> lets say you have a directory and one commercial entry in the directory would cost 4.99/month,
>> would you use 2checkout.com for recurring billing?

Do what most places do. Charge $8.99 for monthly billing, $6.99 a month for quarterly billing, and $4.99 a month for annual billing.

You'll actually probably make more money on the annual billing than the monthly. You'll have 11 less charges to deal with, 11 less customer support issues, 11 less chances for expensive charge backs, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Monthly billing should really be for amounts over $25. Anything less, you are paying a premium for running the charges. That money is just eaten by the system.

Please leave a PM here.