Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

capacity on shared server

Quote Reply
capacity on shared server
I've been thinking about purchasing LinksSQL for my site (actually planning on it as soon as we can afford it). The main purpose would be to import a DMOZ category - Arts - as a new sub-section of the site.

My concern is whether it's realistic to think that LinksSQL can handle that many listings (I think it's around 275,000) on our shared server. Granted, we do have a pretty upscale shared server account as these things go - 1.5GB storage, unlimited MySQL usage, etc. (It's the "Strictly Business" package by Dreamhost if anyone's familiar.)

Since I figure we'd only bother uploading a new dump every six months or so, I was thinking it might make sense to do the static pages version. Presumably that would make it a little easier on the server, but could be a problem in disk storage. Is that an accurate assessment?

Anyway, just trying to figure out what my options are here. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] capacity on shared server In reply to
Say 25 links per page, so 275,000 / 25 = 11,000

50k per page so 11,000 x 50 = 550,000

You'd need around half a gig of space, but it all depends on whether your host would allow it or not (mainly due to building the pages because of its intensity).
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] capacity on shared server In reply to
So building the pages would be the most server-resource-intensive activity? Searching and other dynamic processes wouldn't be such a big deal?

Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Building is intensive but only whilst building....html pages would be a lot better for a big directory I think. Dynamic pages are more intensive than html but don't require building.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 24, 2002, 9:48 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] capacity on shared server In reply to
Thanks, that makes sense.

Quote Reply
BTW, I'm looking to move to a host that offers 150 megs of diskspace. Can anyone tell me roughly how many links that can hold, considering each entry will have its own page? The host is Futurequest.net
Quote Reply
Re: [johnjohn] capacity on shared server In reply to
I'd recommend doing some reverse calculations that Paul already provided.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me