Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

How hard to set up a site?

Quote Reply
How hard to set up a site?
Hi everyone,

I have a couple questions about the ease of set up.

I know absolutely nothing about any kind of programming.

I am looking to set up a real estate directory and have heard good things about Gossamer Threads (and a custom directory is a bit out of the price range). I would like to have premium and basic listings, and have space for banners as well as a few other features. That brings me to the second sentence of this post...

I have really no clue about what it would take to get a good looking, funtional site going. I know it is a bit harder than just paying for the thread and installing it.

I guess the question is, about how much would you think it would cost to get a good looking, functional site going? I would like to start fairly basic, I can always improve upon it.

I have seen examples like girlfriends.com and it looks great- but again, it is all greek to me, I would believe you if you said that site cost 500 or 5000.

This is a bit vague I know, but I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

Thanks,

Evan
Quote Reply
Re: [evan] How hard to set up a site? In reply to
Hi Evan,

Quote:
I guess the question is, about how much would you think it would cost to get a good looking, functional site going? I would like to start fairly basic, I can always improve upon it.
Practically, whatever it will cost you for the license purchase of GLinks. As you can either use the existing template, modify it or create your own from scratch. Basic understanding of HTML is all what you might to do this and understanding of CSS can be helpful and make work much easier. There are many paid and free plugins available to suit different needs, however all of them are optional.

Quote:
I have seen examples like girlfriends.com and it looks great- but again, it is all greek to me, I would believe you if you said that site cost 500 or 5000.

girlfriends.com is a very good example to see how GLinks can be customized. However as far as pricing is concerned, many factors are involved, so it would be toooooo vague to estimate anything.

And to answer your question "How hard to set up a site?", I think it is 'very easy' to setup site using GLinks.

Hope this helps.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

SWDevil.Com: Aug 20, 2006, 2:23 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] How hard to set up a site? In reply to

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

Is the demo what you get right out of the box or does it have plugins or anything above and beyond?

http://demo.gossamer-threads.com/linkssql/

Evan
Quote Reply
Yep, although the demo has some free plugins installed (the YahooSubcats and XMLResults plugins).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] How hard to set up a site? In reply to
Hi,

if you use the included templates: no problem, it's very nice and out of the box. If you like to do changes it's getting complicated. Unfortunately AFAIK the're no other templates than Luna, but they don't fit to every project. If you like to change the look you need to know the program and need to know much about css. Don't understand me wrong, I like lsql very much but working with templates and the very sophisticated css-stuff could be pain in the ass.

I wonder why GT didn't make more templates, maybe for cash, to change the look easyier ...

Kai
Quote Reply
Re: [kailew] How hard to set up a site? In reply to
Thats kind of where I am at...not sure I want to make the initial investment if it is going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it work and look the way I want.

I guess I need to map out what I want and put it in front of a programmer. Anyone know of a programmer with GLinks experience that is fair and reasonable (with examples)?
Quote Reply
Hi Evan,

You could always put together a plan and send it to directly through the contact form. We build entire sites for our clients based on their specifications document or on their "vision", or we can only handle the parts that you do not wish to work on yourself. Some featured sites are listed here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/links-sql/clients.htm

If you let me know what kind of site you're planning, maybe there are better examples for you to check out.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] How hard to set up a site? In reply to
Jack,

I am working on getting something on paper that will better describe what I am looking for...but for now, take a look at what I have so far.

We are looking to build a real estate directory. Premium (with more details on agent or service) Listings as well as Basic Listings. We have an existing client base of agents that we would like to give FREE Premium Listings to. All other agents who want a Premium Listing will have to pay for them. We would also like a directory of service providers that real estate agents use (mortgage brokers, inspectors, landscaping, remodeling, real estate brokers, training, real estate schools, real estate associations, etc). That is where I am having issues... I dont want things TOO complicated, but I want to give registered users the ablility to review service providers as well as post in that category (they could post their mortgage brokers info and review their services for all to see. That part would act as a resource for agents to find good service providers in their area).

Like I said, we have an existing client base of agents (1,000+) that will get the directory going. In the future we may want to integrate your forum (not yet though).

To get started, we would settle for just the real estate agent directory. Not sure the best way to go about it, but I would like each state to be a category, but my issue is I do not want to add each city in each state. I think it is tacky when there are hundreds of cities with no links (can users do this?).

Anyways,

That is it for now. I am working on a more detailed list of what I would like, but as I said, ideally we could just get the agent directory up and running first then add from there.

Thanks!

Evan
Quote Reply
Hi Evan,

I think it's time to move our discussion to private email. Is the hotmail address on your profile the best one to reach you at? If not, then please fill out the online contact form:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/contact/

to start the process.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] How hard to set up a site? In reply to
Jack,

Email sent.

Thanks for everyones help!

Evan