Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Can LINKS SQL be used for Personal Profiles

Quote Reply
Can LINKS SQL be used for Personal Profiles
Greetings,

I am looking to collect personal profiles (financial status and financial scores for thousands of people) to be used as a central database for financial institutions to allow them to login and verify the financial status for someone to lend him/her money. This database will be only visiable to those institutions and not to public.

My questions:

1 - Can LINKS SQL be used/modified in such away that allow only the Financial institutions to log into my site as a user and see the record/Detailed pages that contain status/financial score of a peroson without allowing general public an access to the same data? and whenever the financial institution needs to modify/add/delete a record, then they can log as adminstrator (two levels of logging in) and do what ever they want for their own records only.

2 - Can I create hundreds of users/Adminstrators (financial institutions) for the database but each one can only delete/add/modify their own records, but they can view any record when they log as users to the site. Means each institution is responsable only for the records that they created after they log in as adminstrator (adminstrator).

3 - Can I build just Dynamic DETAILED PAGES (record) instead of the the links added as no need to build multiple categories and link pages. This Detailed page should contain all the info./financial situations/scores for a person.?

4 - After the Institution logs in to its account (as a user), it can view the DETAILED PAGE (record) of someone by searching the database for his/her name or address. Can that be done as well?

5 - Can a rating of a perosn (record or links) gets decrimented automatically whenever an institution inquire about this particular person?

6 - Can I create the record of people in text file then migrate them to SQL?

Thank you in advance for your help

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] Can LINKS SQL be used for Personal Profiles In reply to
Short answer, Yes.

Quote:
1 - Can LINKS SQL be used/modified in such away that allow only the Financial institutions to log into my site as a user and see the record/Detailed pages that contain status/financial score of a peroson without allowing general public an access to the same data? and whenever the financial institution needs to modify/add/delete a record, then they can log as adminstrator (two levels of logging in) and do what ever they want for their own records only.

Yes, you can close your registration area, and manually add "users". Once a user is added, you can allow them to maintain/modify their record, and define which fields they can change, and which they can't. You can also restrict the ability to use the system to logged on users. You'd have to make a few minor changes to the code of the system, but basically it would simply be putting the check for registered users in for every script that you allow a user to access (not just add/modify).

Quote:
2 - Can I create hundreds of users/Adminstrators (financial institutions) for the database but each one can only delete/add/modify their own records, but they can view any record when they log as users to the site. Means each institution is responsable only for the records that they created after they log in as adminstrator (adminstrator).

See answer for #1 above.

Quote:
3 - Can I build just Dynamic DETAILED PAGES (record) instead of the the links added as no need to build multiple categories and link pages. This Detailed page should contain all the info./financial situations/scores for a person.?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but the category pages are how you would browse the system, and know what other users/records are there. You could restrict (eliminate) the functions in the scripts to allow that to happen, and require people to know the name or ID of any institution they want to look up. If you use obsure identifiers, and allow searches only on that field -- az3xP2 -- for example, you could effectively block people from from scanning the database.

Quote:
4 - After the Institution logs in to its account (as a user), it can view the DETAILED PAGE (record) of someone by searching the database for his/her name or address. Can that be done as well?

You can allow searches on any field (or restrict to any given field). Some minor programming and template set up would be required, but the functionality to do it is all in Links already.

Quote:
5 - Can a rating of a perosn (record or links) gets decrimented automatically whenever an institution inquire about this particular person?

You can set up a script to do this, using the Ratings system as a guide. Not enough information here to give a more detailed answer, but you can modify any fields in the database through a script, so this sort of thing is possible, and done on many sites in many ways. Usually a hit counter.

6 - Can I create the record of people in text file then migrate them to SQL?

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Thanks a lot for your help.

I guess your answers are good enough for now and I will go a head and buy links sql then worry about the changes later. Also, I hope I can use PHP to setup queries on the same database.

Thanks again

Mark
Quote Reply
I don't use the PHP interface, but you should be able to do it. They have a page.php which should do exactly what page.cgi does. Also, since your data is in a MySQL database, you can use _any_ interface to get to the data, but you are responsible for making sure you don't violate it in a way that will break Links (as long as you only read data, that won't ever be a problem).

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Please some more questions:

Now I am realy confused! specially after running the demo of DBMANSQL as it seems (I think is what I am looking for), but I need to take your advice to which one I should use if I want, in addition to the above listed items, the following as well:

1 - Can I use Forign Langauge Support (in search and display...etc.) is that possible in the DBMANSQL?

2 - Does DBMANSQL keeps track of Number of clicks per hits?

3 - Does DBMANSQL has a rating mechanizem so every time a visitor view a record, the record rating gets decremented 1 point.

4 - Does LINKS SQL supports the three levels of users: (Visitors, Agents, Adminstrator)? where each one of them needs to log in using username/password.

5 - Does DBMANSQL works with LINKS SQL, mean can I use DBMANSQL to add records, modify, delete...etc, of LINKS SQL Database mean again can I adminstor LINKS SQL database with DBMANSQL?

6 - Can the Agent in the DBMANSQL demo (for example) Work/view only his own records? or does he have an access to all the database?

7 - Does DBMANSQL comes with LINKSSQL?

8 - Can Search form in LINKS SQL be modified to form a search like the one here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...form&uid=default

9 - Is there an email mechnizim built in DBMANSQL to send the agent/adminstator an email for validation of a link...etc. Newsletter...etc. Like links2?

Thank you again for your help
Mark
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

Now I am realy confused! specially after running the demo of DBMANSQL as it seems (I think is what I am looking for), but I need to take your advice to which one I should use if I want, in addition to the above listed items, the following as well:

1 - Can I use Forign Langauge Support (in search and display...etc.) is that possible in the DBMANSQL?

2 - Does DBMANSQL keeps track of Number of hits per record?

3 - Does DBMANSQL has a rating mechanizem so every time a visitor view a record, the record rating gets decremented 1 point.

4 - Does LINKS SQL supports the three levels of users: (Visitors, Agents, Adminstrator)? where each one of them needs to log in using username/password.

5 - Does DBMANSQL works with LINKS SQL, mean can I use DBMANSQL to add records, modify, delete...etc, of LINKS SQL Database mean again can I adminstor LINKS SQL database with DBMANSQL?

6 - Can the Agent in the DBMANSQL demo (for example) Work/view only his own records? or does he have an access to all the database?

8 - Can Search form in LINKS SQL be modified to form a search like the one here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/dbsql/db.cgi?db=homes&do=search_form&uid=default

9 - Is there an email mechnizim built in DBMANSQL to send the agent/adminstator an email for validation of a link...etc. Newsletter...etc. Like links2?

10 - Can the "Agent" in DBMANSQL add a multi-field review (after logging in as an agent) to a specific link, and the reviews then will show up on the same page as the record?
11 - Does DBMANSQL supports PHP in its templetes?
12 - Do you install DBMANSQL on my server? if this is the one that you recomend? Thank you again for your help
Mark

Last edited by:

Mark2: Jun 11, 2002, 3:41 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2 - Does DBMANSQL keeps track of Number of hits per record?

8 - Can Search form in LINKS SQL be modified to form a search like the one here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/dbsql/db.cgi?db=homes&do=search_form&uid=default

10 - Can the "Agent" in DBMANSQL add a multi-field review (after logging in as an agent) to a specific link, and the reviews then will show up on the same page as the record?

11 - Does DBMANSQL supports PHP in its templetes?

12 - Do you install DBMANSQL on my server? if this is the one that you recomend?

13 - Can Agent UPLOAD Images to the added record?

14 - Do I have to have the SQL database to use the DBMAN SQL? or does the database will be created when you install DBMAN SQL with 10 fields... or so

Thank you again for your help
Mark
Quote Reply
Can anyone explain me the diference between the LAST 3 POSTINGS Unsure
Quote Reply
Re: [cK] Can LINKS SQL be used for Personal Profiles In reply to
Because I could not realy re-edit my post, so I had to reply to my own post in order to update it.
However, I would like answere, if possible, on my last post that have 14 Questions.

And thank you for all your help
Mark
Quote Reply
You need to ask this in the DBMan forum, not the Links SQL forum. Different program, and users :)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Don't forget this is the LINKS SQL forum, not DBMAN SQL Wink
Question number seven: no. Other questions: I have no idea.