Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

program needed for movie directory with multiple categories

Quote Reply
program needed for movie directory with multiple categories
I am looking for a MySQL-based directory program that will allow me to categorize products under MULTIPLE headings.

For instance, the IMDB (movie database) site has movies categorized under multiple genres (eg. Blade 3 can be under ACTION, SCI-FI, and HORROR), not just a single one.

Can Gossamer programs do this? If not, can they be adapted to do this?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [server0000] program needed for movie directory with multiple categories In reply to
Hi,

Yup, it can do that :)

You press Ctrl + Click on the new options. This used to be only available in the admin panel ... but it may well have been introduced in GLinks 3.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Jun 20, 2005, 10:08 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] program needed for movie directory with multiple categories In reply to
A friend has a copy of Links SQL 2.1.1 and the only menu options we have in the admin panel are:

Browse | Add Cat | Add Link | Edit | Delete | Move | Editors | Related | Validate |

Are we missing some plug-ins to allow for multiple categories?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [server0000] program needed for movie directory with multiple categories In reply to
Hi,

Its now on version 3.0.3, so 2.1.x is a bit outdated Shocked

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] program needed for movie directory with multiple categories In reply to
I am trying the online DEMO of Links SQL 3, and you mentioned clicking CTRL + some options. I cannot seem to find the options you were referring to.

I don't see much difference with Links SQL 2, which would suggest that I can easily setup multiple categories for a single product.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
A link does not belong to any one category. A link is placed in categories by making entries in the Cat_Links table, in the form LinkID->CategoryID

To initially place a link in multiple categories, you use the windows convention of holding down the control key, and selecting the categories you want the link in.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
My expert friends seems to forget that in the online demo, the Build Options/db_gen_category_list option is set to NO.
It will result to force user selecting a single category for adding a link.

If db_gen_category_list option is set to YES, add.cgi will generate a dropdown category list.
It is said, that if you set the 'multiple' form attribute, you will be able to post a link into multiple categories, as Andy & Pugdog said, using CTRL + Click helper combination...

One of my many unfinished plugins (XAMD plugin), already added support for multiple categories, but the bad new is, that there in no known schedule, when will I have time to release it Frown

I hope some info helped you.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...