Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links Questions (with PPC option)

Quote Reply
Links Questions (with PPC option)
Hi.

Questions that I can't find answers for:

1. Using the Links SQL and the PPC option, does the system notify the person when their funds get low or go to ZERO.

1a. Can someone login to see their balance?

1b. Can the admin see a report of who is low on funds?

1c. Is there an admin side of the PPC I can see. I couldn't find it.

1d. I'm assuming the ADMIN can add a PPC client and fund their account (for example, an order by phone from a computer-challenged individual - lol).

2. Can I set a minimum deposit? And a minimum cost-per-click?

2a. I'd want to initially process payments manually, that's not a problem, I figure? I just get the notification and then the info. Right?

3. Can you combine a "free" links directory with PPC where the PPC show up first (obviously)?

4. Can I add AdCycle later, if I want?

5. Does the PPC option still allow you to publish .html (SE indexable) files?

I think that's all I have for now. TIA.

-chris
Quote Reply
Re: [otsirhc] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Hi Chris,

To answer your questions:

> 1. Using the Links SQL and the PPC option, does the system notify the person when their funds get low or go to ZERO.

Yes, the system does send out notification to the user when they run out of funds but unfortunately not when it gets to a certain level.

> 1a. Can someone login to see their balance?

Yes, there is a screen within the system to allow users to check on their balances.

> 1b. Can the admin see a report of who is low on funds?

Yes, the admin has full reporting capability.

> 1c. Is there an admin side of the PPC I can see. I couldn't find it.

On this page: http://gossamer-threads.com/...lugins/ppc/index.htm there is a section with some information on the admin side, close to the bottom of the page.

> 1d. I'm assuming the ADMIN can add a PPC client and fund their account (for example, an order by phone from a computer-challenged individual - lol).

Yes, the admin can definitely "help" a user along from the admin interface.

> 2. Can I set a minimum deposit? And a minimum cost-per-click?

Yes, you can set both of these values.

> 2a. I'd want to initially process payments manually, that's not a problem, I figure? I just get the notification and then the info. Right?

No, you can take the users' funds and add them to the users' accounts manually if you wish.

> 3. Can you combine a "free" links directory with PPC where the PPC show up first (obviously)?

Yes, this is the default functionality of the system.

> 4. Can I add AdCycle later, if I want?

Yes, most definitely, they are quite independent of each other.

> 5. Does the PPC option still allow you to publish .html (SE indexable) files?

Yes, you can still build static pages with the PPC enabled.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [otsirhc] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Excellent. Thanks Jack.

-chris
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Hello

I also have some questions about the PPC

1)

is there a way for the user to pay for his link to come up outside of the category where it is listed? I am thinking that this ought to be possible, if it isn't... And maybe have a limit of, say, 3 highest bids outside of the category being able to be listed. For example, a mortgage company advertising in real estate agent's category, etc. Or it could be done so it appears separately somehow to be obvious it doesn't 'belong' there normally, but that they paid to be there. --- or am I encroaching onto an ad serving / banner rotation grounds?

2)

is there a way to automate the payments for the PPC through paypal, etc. or does it all have to be authorized as the payments are made?

3)

Is it possible to run the site in static mode and have the PPC order and removal done once per day or what not, using some type of a built-in device (chron job of some sort?). It would speed up our site dramatically (vs. running it in dynamic mode all the time). And yes, I do realize that if someone went to a $0 balance they could get free placement until the next update, but that's alright...

4)

It's been a while since we got the PPC, it hasn't been really used live for real (only in the initial test-that-it-is-working-run), but can I download the manual for it somewhere so I can learn/re-learn it all?

5)

How do I reset the counter(s) having to do with total $$ per user and in all to start from scratch? Is there a way to differentiate actual paid amounts/accounts and credited (bonuses, etc.) ?

6)

Does the PPC work with keyword searches? (I think it does, but I am not sure right at the moment)

7)

I feel like eating a pizza right now, but everything is closed at this hour. What do I do, WHAT DO I DO? Wink

A non-PPC question:

Is there a way for a site to be counted only once, even if it is listed in 3 categories? It appears to count as three, even though it is only one. I mean, all the categories should count it, but the category above should only count it as one, not three...

Thanks, Jack!

ps: and thank you for the XMAS card you guys sent me, btw. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Peter544] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Hi,

>1)isthere a way for the user to pay for his link to come up outside of the >category where it is listed? I am thinking that this ought to be possible, >if it isn't... And maybe have a limit of, say, 3 highest bids outside of the >category being able to be listed. For example, a mortgage company >advertising in real estate agent's category, etc. Or it could be done so it >appears separately somehow to be obvious it doesn't 'belong' there >normally, but that they paid to be there. --- or am I encroaching onto >an ad serving / banner rotation grounds?

No, unfortunately the link has to be in the category.

>2) is there a way to automate the payments for the PPC through >paypal, etc. or does it all have to be authorized as the payments are >made?

Yes, with some modifications this is possible.

>3) Is it possible to run the site in static mode and have the PPC order >and removal done once per day or what not, using some type of a built->in device (chron job of some sort?). It would speed up our site >dramatically (vs. running it in dynamic mode all the time). And yes, I do >realize that if someone went to a $0 balance they could get free >placement until the next update, but that's alright...

Unfortunately this is not possible, the script must run in dynamic mode in order to function properly.

>4)It's been a while since we got the PPC, it hasn't been really used live >for real (only in the initial test-that-it-is-working-run), but can I >download the manual for it somewhere so I can learn/re-learn it all?

There is a quite detailed help file with the ppc plugin. Once you have installed it, you can go to the help and everything you need should be there. This is the only help documentation for the plugin.

>5) How do I reset the counter(s) having to do with total $$ per user and >in all to start from scratch? Is there a way to differentiate actual paid >amounts/accounts and credited (bonuses, etc.) ?

If it's all just test data, you can delete the bidders and add them in again, other then that, the only way to do it is by adding a negative amount to set it back to 0. You can differentiate actual paid amounts from credited amounts by putting a note in the notes box.

>6) Does the PPC work with keyword searches? (I think it does, but I am >not sure right at the moment)

Yes.

>7) I feel like eating a pizza right now, but everything is closed at this >hour. What do I do, WHAT DO I DO?

hmmm...that's a tough one, there's no substitute for pizza. Wink

>A non-PPC question: Is there a way for a site to be counted only once, >even if it is listed in 3 categories? It appears to count as three, even >though it is only one. I mean, all the categories should count it, but the >category above should only count it as one, not three...

Unfortunately the link will get counted once for each time it is added to a category.

Thanks,
Mel
Mel Goulet
Developer - Gossamer Threads, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mel_g] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
>>>Unfortunately the link will get counted once for each time it is added to a category. <<<

Couldn't this be got around by using UNIQUE ? That way, only unique entries will be counted, thus giving the number of 'unique' entries Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
I think you mean DISTINCT
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Yup Blush

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
>3) Is it possible to run the site in static mode and have the PPC order >and removal done once per day or what not, using some type of a built->in device (chron job of some sort?). It would speed up our site >dramatically (vs. running it in dynamic mode all the time). And yes, I do >realize that if someone went to a $0 balance they could get free >placement until the next update, but that's alright...

Unfortunately this is not possible, the script must run in dynamic mode in order to function properly.

So what if it wasn't updated by the minute, I could 'update' the site nightly so that the static pages would show the PPC as they ought to, even with a 24hr lag...? Our site runs slower in the DYNAMIC mode and I am afraid of it getting worse and worse as the number of links in the database grows. I think we are up to 2000 links at this point, it seems a shame to have to run a separate query each and every time one simply browses the categories. For keyword searches - dynamic mode is the way to go, obviously, but people just browsing the directories, looking around... Static is much less taxing on the system and faster overall...

I guess the question is, if I do run the update (rebuild html) daily and run the site in static mode. It *should* work fine, correct? If not, what would not be working? I know that the bidding wouldn't be *live* but I can live with it.

What specifically does it mean "the script must run in dynamic mode in order to function properly"

It seems like there has to be another way still. How about creating static headers and footers and keeping a separate much smaller database of just the bidders, who would go, dynamically between the header and footer, as a server side include (SSI).

Crazy

Mel, "Just Say Do It!" for static mode with PPC! Tongue

Quote Reply
The thing is that PPC is a bunch of forms and stuff and that kind of stuff MUST be dynamic, just like you could never have a static add form in links sql. The information needs to be processed. The only part of PPC that could even be static is just the category pages, which they can be static or dynamic, that's up to you how you have decided to have your category pages be. When a bid is validated, the category html page will automatically be built with the new information, so the pages are static but updated in real time. The rest of ppc is just forms so they must be dynamic because the script must process them.

Mel
Mel Goulet
Quote Reply
So what WOULD happen if we ran it in static mode? It would still track the clickthroughs, right? It would still show the placed links at the top, right? Am I not getting something crucial here?

Also (Jack?) have you guys tested Links SQL with dynamic mode and perhaps 10,000 link database? How much of a delay is it and at which point does the database start being too large where the user has to wait too long after each click? I am afraid of getting used to running the system in dynamic modem due to PPC and then freaking out down the road with smoke coming out of the server...

If the optimized perl environment is set up (mod perl?), how much does that help vs regular execution of the directory?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by:

Alex: Jun 17, 2003, 9:55 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Peter,

We have sites running with over 3 million links running in Dynamic mode. As long as the server is strong, you should not have many complaints about speed. This site in question is running on a dual processor monster with 2 gigs of RAM and under mod_perl. Send me a PM or an email and I'll send you the URL.

mod_perl can increase the speed of Links SQL or an equivalently written perl program by 10 times.

Jack.
Quote Reply
>So what WOULD happen if we ran it in static mode? It would still track >the clickthroughs, right? It would still show the placed links at the top, >right? Am I not getting something crucial here?

Yes this is right, you can run Links SQL in static mode and ppc will work just fine.
Mel Goulet
Quote Reply
Hi there Jack,

I would like to replicate the funtionality of the PPC system in Google. is this possible with the PPC plugin? can I do it EXACTLY like google? I've used google's PPC system and it is absolutely amazing.. gives the user total control.
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Hi,

There are some differences between the way that our PPC plugin works and the way that Google has theirs setup. I can't really give you a list of the differences unfortunately, but here is detailed information on how Links SQL's PPC plugin works:

http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/plugins/ppc/

Jack.
Quote Reply
But is it customizable to the point where I can replicate that functionality?

By the way... is there a specific reason why this plugin is so expensive? you do have an even pricing structure for almost all your products, this PPC plugin is expensive considering the product it runs in costs $450
Quote Reply
Hi,

The code for the PPC is definitely customisable, it all depends on perl skills and the resources you're willing to expend on the customisations.

As for the price, it's a small volume script, and it's strictly commercial, hence the higher pricing.

However, I have to admit that I am not personally very familiar with google's PPC functionality and thus am not confident of being able to customise and add onto our PPC plugin to the point where it rivals the google tool. They have a lot more resources to draw on than we do without a doubt.

Jack.
Quote Reply
I use the PPC and find it to be a very nice program and will meet the needs that you have listed.

The only thing that I found that needs attention is the method of payment. What I found is the people will sign up to use the PPC but stop short when it comes time to place some funds on deposit.

I believe that if the person had a seamless way of signing up, adding bids, sending funds all within the one seesion it would greatly improve the use of the plugin.

I have discussed this with GT and they are looking at it as well.

Other than that you will find that the PPC is strong, functions very well, is very flexible in design using templates, and will add a new level to your sites search engine that you could not get with another program.

I suggest the product!

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Links Questions (with PPC option) In reply to
Hopefully, their gateway system like for GForum will filter into all programs.

Over the past 5 years, we've found that unless someone can pay at the time they are interested, you will most likely lose the sale. Attaching the automated payment system is very important. It's also one of the hardest things to do on the internet. Ecommerce is more of a concept than a reality, unless you have a programming staff and custom cart/billing software. Smaller sites get left out, while all stats show that small business makes up most of the retail industry. Sort of an at-odds system.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.