Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

A few questions

Quote Reply
A few questions
Before buying the french version of Links SQL I'd like to ask a few questions :

I've used Links 2 since two weeks, I've imported about 50 000 links from the french part of DMOZ. Organising cats, removing bad links and converting french special caracter like ç, ê, à, is a really hard and very long work :(
Is it right that this work will be much easier to handle with LinksSQL ?

Is it possible to link directly with full url instead of using jump.cgi ?

I want to create a non-adult directory and an adult directory at the same time. I do not want the non-adult visitors to access (while making a search request or browsing the cats) the adult part without being warned with a disclaimer page.
Is it possible to run two separate directories on the same domain with the same script ?

Is there a log of the keywords used in search requests ?

Thanks in advance !

:)
--

Kestuveux.com
Quote Reply
Re: [croco] A few questions In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Is it right that this work will be much easier to handle with LinksSQL ?

As far as I know, its pretty simple. LinksSQL is built a lot better, in the way that it was designed for non-english languages, which need to use foreign charachters (take a look at your post, for example, where you can post "ç, ê, à" without Gossamer Forum even complaining :)

Quote:
Is it possible to link directly with full url instead of using jump.cgi ?

Yeah, just change;

Code:
<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>

...to;

Code:
<%URL%>

Quote:
I want to create a non-adult directory and an adult directory at the same time. I do not want the non-adult visitors to access (while making a search request or browsing the cats) the adult part without being warned with a disclaimer page.
Is it possible to run two separate directories on the same domain with the same script ?

Unfortunatly not. I do something like this on http://www.find-a-search-engine.com, if you look in the "Adult" category, it will ask you if you actually want to visit this page. Its done with some javascript in the category.html template, which checks to see if the category is adult orientated, and if it is, then it loads the popup window (great for still being spidered by Google too).

Quote:
Is there a log of the keywords used in search requests ?

Yeah, there is a plugin called SearchLogger, which does this. It shows you how many results were found for the search query at the time, as well as how many times that same query has been searched Smile

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] A few questions In reply to
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your quick answer :)

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunatly not. I do something like this on http://www.find-a-search-engine.com, if you look in the "Adult" category, it will ask you if you actually want to visit this page. Its done with some javascript in the category.html template, which checks to see if the category is adult orientated, and if it is, then it loads the popup window (great for still being spidered by Google too).

Yes, it's a fine way to handle this... but it does not seem to work when a visitor reaches an adult site with a search request (I've typed "xxx" in the search field).

Is it not possible to have two installations of LinksSQL on the same domain in oder to strictly separate the two directories ?
Maybe with the use of a dedicated sub-domain ?

--

Kestuveux.com
Quote Reply
Quote:
Yes, it's a fine way to handle this... but it does not seem to work when a visitor reaches an adult site with a search request (I've typed "xxx" in the search field).

Yeah, thats the only limitation of the current method. It could be done with my"filter" plugin, modified a little bit, so that you can define which words are classified as "adult content", and it then needs you to pass &adult=1 or something in the URL string, so the results know what they can show.

Sorry is that didn't make any sense what so ever Crazy

Quote:
Is it not possible to have two installations of LinksSQL on the same domain in oder to strictly separate the two directories ?

Sorry, I misundersood that part of your question :)

From a license point of view, you would have to buy another license (20% discount) to be able to run 2 installations. Its easily possible, as we do it all the time.

http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/resources/
http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/clipart/
http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/dmoz/

...etc. You can even run multiple installations off one database, as a prefix can be used (i.e lsql_).

Hope that answers your questions :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy,
I know enough now, I'll place my order right now :)

About the "adult/non-adult" problem :
why not adding a field in the sites database (and also in the categories db) like adult content = yes or no ?
It will surely be more convenient to manage in this case...
The only problem is that I don't know anything about dev and MySQL :)

Thanks again :)
--

Kestuveux.com
Quote Reply
I guess so. Its more the categories that are the problem, for example if you have a category called Adult/XXX , and someone searches for "xxx", it will come up. I like the idea about adding a yes/no select box though, may have to give that a go on find-a-search-engine.com :)

BTW, GT can take a couple of days to process your order, over weekends. They do it all manually, as it cuts down fraud (we had a chargeback today from someone buying our plugins... sucks Frown). Just so you don't think they are ignoring your order :)

Anyway, I'm off out now. Have a good weekend :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks for your help, Andy.
I'm using LinksSQL since 5 days now...
I still have some work until my directory is finished :)

I can post in the other LinksSQL part of this forum because now I've bought this great product.
--

Kestuveux.com