Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

What limits of links sql?

Quote Reply
What limits of links sql?
I'm wondering what sort of power you would need for a set up of links sql for :

50 - 75 000 links in database,

med - high traffic

using static built pages

How much storage space could that be expected to take up and could a decent shared account on a server cope with that? (assuming server is reasonably powerful spec and reaonably populated with accounts - not overpopulated).

Please give opinions on what you think a set up like this would require.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [roman365] What limits of links sql? In reply to
You should be able to get away with that. I have seen people with medium sized traffic, with about 100,000+ links. Its not really really fast on a shared server, but its bearable :)

I'm not quite sure on storage. For say 3,000 category pages, I would imagine no more than 200Mb, (400,000+ is over 1Gb for a static build).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What limits of links sql? In reply to
Cool,

The space I've got in mind is 1.5gb storage, 35 gb bandwith etc.

Shared server is a cost exercise, if I do what I plan it'll be to the lowest budget initially til I find out if its worth doing Smile

Still considering my plans but your advice helps a lot.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Thinking about it, you could probably get away with 500Mb (database + build of static pages) Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
cool,

I've used the free links v2 for about 2 years very happily but have wanted to move up for some time when costs permitted.

Currently got an email off to jack querying cost of additional non profit site licence if purchasing full licence already for commercial site.

Seriously considering finding the cash to do this somehow.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Quote Reply
Hi,

A decent shared server would be fine (not one of these $4.95 a month type accounts, but one that gives you a decent amount of computing power). Usually sites that have 150,000+ should start looking at dedicated servers.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] What limits of links sql? In reply to
So a 2.4 GHz Celeron with 1 GB of RAM and only a handful of accounts on it should be just fine then :)

Someone is being kind enough to share space to me on a private fully managed server :)

Last edited by:

roman365: Jan 19, 2004, 11:32 AM
Quote Reply
Yeah, that should definatly be ok :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Incidentally, as a comparator how many links maximum in a database on the same account do you reckon links v2 could handle?
Quote Reply
Probably 1000 links maximum. Its only flat file, so the databases get corrupt easily with large databases on Links 2 :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
oh

Both my current sites are approaching 1000.

I was about to try 9 - 10 000 links with this new one :)

Might give it a go anyway, just to be daft.
Quote Reply
LOL ... Links 2 on 9,000-10,000 links? That would be about 10 Mb in size, and probably cause your server to crash, or your files to get corrupt every 5 seconds cos they are so large :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk