Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Gossamer Links, bandwidth and hosting etc.

Quote Reply
Gossamer Links, bandwidth and hosting etc.
Hello,

I am a past user of Links Sql for some time, I wasn't quite sure where to put this question.
Not active at the moment.

I want to start up again and I am considering this host:
https://www.ixwebhosting.com/...info.dspBusinessPlus

They offer a lot of services and 300GB of monthly transfer for very little money.

How do I equate roughly anyhow, daily users to monthly bandwidth?
As always I hope for a busy site. If I go over there is no charge, but my server goes down until next month.

I have cable modem access and could setup my own server and use the cable bandwidth for free, but I am queasy about the reliability of such a setup.

Any input appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [dlpsr] Gossamer Links, bandwidth and hosting etc. In reply to
Hi,

Bandwidth will be determined primairly on your page layout and graphics. If the average page view takes 50 kb to download (including all images and associated files), then you could do 20 thousand pages a month for 1 GB of bandwidth. In short, you will really need more CPU power before you run out of bandwidth, as doing 300 GB a month would be 6 million page views, which could easily be 15-25 requests a second during peak times, something most shared hosting companies will not let you handle.

I never recommend hosting on your own cable/dsl modem. Upstream providers are often not very friendly towards people running servers, and will cut you off or change the level of service without notice. Also, upstream bandwidth on cable/dsl is often not very good.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gossamer Links, bandwidth and hosting etc. In reply to
Oh, and we do offer hosting of course:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/hosting/

but because we limit shared servers to 15 accounts per machine, the price is significantly higher (although you get access to a lot more server resources). It might be more of an option once you have the traffic and are looking for a dedicated server though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gossamer Links, bandwidth and hosting etc. In reply to
Hi Alex,

Anyone question.

I think I will probably go with the cheap host for now, "If" I get traffic then I will consider something better like your hosting or co-location of my own server to a local ISP.

Now, I have a question about GLinks. How or could I have a main page with say a 50 to 100 primary links on the home page? Then when a primary link is clicked, it would go to another page with hundreds of links specific only to the primary link that was clicked. In other words nested links. Parhaps several levels deep that all relate to the primary link on the home page. The same for all the other primary links on the home page. I am also curious about GForum. I will post that question there.

Thanks,
Dave

In Reply To:
Oh, and we do offer hosting of course:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/hosting/

but because we limit shared servers to 15 accounts per machine, the price is significantly higher (although you get access to a lot more server resources). It might be more of an option once you have the traffic and are looking for a dedicated server though.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: [dlpsr] Gossamer Links, bandwidth and hosting etc. In reply to
Quote:
Now, I have a question about GLinks. How or could I have a main page with say a 50 to 100 primary links on the home page? Then when a primary link is clicked, it would go to another page with hundreds of links specific only to the primary link that was clicked. In other words nested links. Parhaps several levels deep that all relate to the primary link on the home page.
Make your "primary link" a category instead of a link?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.