Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Questions before I purchase

Quote Reply
Questions before I purchase
I'm preparing to purchase Gossamer Links. I've already used Links 2.0 in the past and am very familiar with it. I do have questions about Gossamer Links before I purchase it.

1. Does G-Links generate static pages like Links 2.0 does?

2. I'm wanting to install G-Links on a development server before moving it over to the live server. Will I be able to move G-Links once it has been installed, or will I need to purchase a seperate license?

3. Are any parts of G-Links encrypted? I like to fiddle around with PHP code of licenses that I purchase, and I completely despise discovering encrypted code half-way through my modifications.

I understand that there are only two files to upload during installation. Just because I'm curious (and this won't affect my purchasing decision at all), how many files are actually created on the server during installation?
I'll be awaiting your response to my questions.

Roy Pope
Quote Reply
Re: [blueaegis] Questions before I purchase In reply to
In Reply To:
1. Does G-Links generate static pages like Links 2.0 does?
Yes it does. It can work in both dynamic as well as static modes.

In Reply To:
2. I'm wanting to install G-Links on a development server before moving it over to the live server. Will I be able to move G-Links once it has been installed, or will I need to purchase a seperate license?
Our license allows you to use a copy for development purposes (both copies will be able to use our update system) as long as it isn't publicly accessible.

In Reply To:
3. Are any parts of G-Links encrypted? I like to fiddle around with PHP code of licenses that I purchase, and I completely despise discovering encrypted code half-way through my modifications.
If you're referring to the code, no parts of glinks code is encrypted in anyway. You're free to modify and use glinks code; of course in certain cases it's better to write a plugin or global to make upgrading a lot easier.

In Reply To:
I understand that there are only two files to upload during installation. Just because I'm curious (and this won't affect my purchasing decision at all), how many files are actually created on the server during installation?
I'll be awaiting your response to my questions.
With all the templates, images and code, there's around 1000 files.

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Dec 8, 2007, 7:28 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Questions before I purchase In reply to
Thanx Brewt.

I had to wait a few days, but I finally purchased Gossamer Links this evening. Can't wait to get my hands on the script. I currently have an Unlimited Domains License for a PHP directory script, but it was just upgraded and is so full of bugs that it is now completely useless to me. I should have put my money here at Gossamer Threads a long time ago. I had used Links 2.0 in the past, and it worked great, so I am certain that I am going to be pleased with GLinks as well.Cool
Quote Reply
Hi,

Glad to have you on board =) I think you'll find the community here is one of the best (if not the best Angelic) support forums around =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Questions before I purchase In reply to
I've been using these forums since the mid '90s under a different username. Forgot the password, so had to setup with this one. Anyhow, I've always had nothing bu the BEST support and responses from everyone here - and that was when I was working with the FREE version (for non-commercial purposes) of Links 2.0!

I just cannot believe that I waited this long to come on-board with you guys. Shame on me.Crazy

Anyhow, I went to your plugins site last night, and was very impressed by the descriptions of the plugins that you are offering at ultranerds. Just one quick question before I purchase your Ultra package: Do any of your plugins integrate with PayPal?

PayPal is my processor of choice. If your plugins do not process through PayPal then I have a second question: What will it cost me to get them modified so that they do?

Thanx,
Roy
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
I've been using these forums since the mid '90s under a different username. Forgot the password, so had to setup with this one. Anyhow, I've always had nothing bu the BEST support and responses from everyone here - and that was when I was working with the FREE version (for non-commercial purposes) of Links 2.0!

Ah, thats why I didn't recognize you =) (I started on Links 2 back in '99 I think Smile)

Quote:
I just cannot believe that I waited this long to come on-board with you guys. Shame on me.Crazy

You aren't the first =) Normally its the financial issue (i.e the cost of GLinks ;)), as that can be quite a hurdle for a lot of people =)

Quote:
Anyhow, I went to your plugins site last night, and was very impressed by the descriptions of the plugins that you are offering at ultranerds. Just one quick question before I purchase your Ultra package: Do any of your plugins integrate with PayPal?

Yup, they sure do. In fact, most of them *only* work on PayPal =) A couple work with Authorize.net, but I can't remember the last time someone used it with Authorize.net (their customer service has gone down the drain a bit in recent years, according to a few of my customers who used to use them).

BTW, not sure if you're aware - but I'm actually offering 15% off plugins at the moment :) More info can be found here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=299202#p299202

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
BTW, not sure if you're aware - but I'm actually offering 15% off plugins at the moment :) More info can be found here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=299202#p299202

I wasn't aware of the discount. Thanx for bringing it to my attention. Please check your email.

-- Roy PopeSmile
Quote Reply
Andy. Please check your email again!

-- RoySmile
Quote Reply
Hi,

All done <G> Thanks for the order Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I just realized something. The plugin downloads indicate the version of Links that they are compatible with. I have not yet received Links from GT, and am not sure what the version is.

Question: If the version of Links is 3.0.2, and one of your plugins indicates that it is compatible with up to version 2.2.0, then will I be able to use that plugin with my version of Links, or will it require modifications?

-- Roy
Quote Reply
Hi,

You should get version 3.2.0 from GT.

If there are versions of the plugin for 3.2.0, then download that one - if not, then just download the most recent version (between version 3.0.4 --> 3.2.0 , there isn't many difference). The LinksSQL 2.x versions will work fine too - but just require a bit of template work Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
That's kinda what I thought. Thanx again for all the terrific support and service.

-- Roy